The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > store bought mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2011, 09:59 PM   #11
FrayAdjacent
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

OMFG... this is DELICIOUS!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2011, 03:23 AM   #12
MeadWitch
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent View Post
The local stores here have Chaucers, Bunratty and Redstone. Bunratty says right on the bottle that it's just a white wine with honey added. I got a bottle of Chaucer's at Whole Foods. That stuff smells like PVC and doesn't taste much better.

I did get a bottle of Redrock Traditional Mead at the Specs close to my house. It's DELICIOUS! I wish they had some of their melomels, but the Specs close to home is rather small. I may have to check at one of the larger ones in Austin.
Next time I am down at SouthPark Meadows Spec's, I am gonna pick up a bottle of the Redrock Mead. I have never tasted commercial mead before and I am kinda curious. I should check at Twin's as well, I have a standing 10% discount there.

Tertiary: Sweet Dried Cherry/Vanilla Mead, Prickly Pear Mead, Jalapeno-Peach Sweet Mead

Bottled: Huajillo Honey Mead - 4 bottles only, first ever mead, Light Draft Style Cider, Raspberry Mead, Hibiscus Mead, JAOM, Peach Melba Mead, Limoncello, Kahlua, Spiced Winter Cider, Orange/Vanilla Mead

Old 01-18-2011, 07:36 AM   #13
FrayAdjacent
Recipes 

The Specs on Brodie and Lamar is where I found the Vanilla Cinnamon. They had the traditional, a carbonated Boysenberry (I got a bottle of that, but haven't opened yet) and another with apricot in it. Not being a fan of apricot, I skipped that one. They did not have the raspberry.

If you should hit the Specs in Southpark Meadows, please let me know what varieties of Redstone they have. I'd appreciate it.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:48 AM   #14
MeadWitch
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I checked at Twin's in SouthPark tonight, all they carry is a Chauser(?). At 14 bucks, I wasn't going to bite. With all the cases of mead I have at home, it didn't seem like a good deal to me. I am gonna try to get over to Spec's this weekend and check them out.

Tertiary: Sweet Dried Cherry/Vanilla Mead, Prickly Pear Mead, Jalapeno-Peach Sweet Mead

Bottled: Huajillo Honey Mead - 4 bottles only, first ever mead, Light Draft Style Cider, Raspberry Mead, Hibiscus Mead, JAOM, Peach Melba Mead, Limoncello, Kahlua, Spiced Winter Cider, Orange/Vanilla Mead

Old 01-21-2011, 02:57 AM   #15
FrayAdjacent
Recipes 

Chaucer's is definitely not worth it. Smells like PVC and doesn't taste much better. Let me know what you find at that Specs! It's kinda on the way over to my parent's house, so I can swing by there some weekend.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:33 PM   #16
jguy898
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I think That you should all try a place called Valley Vineyards. They're only 40 minutes away from where I currently live, and they do ship! They sell a Raw clover honey Mead, with the honey coming from the same supplier that I use. It is the best Commercially available Mead that I have tried, thus far.

And you'd never believe it, because it's only $9 a bottle!

Jonas

Old 01-22-2011, 03:18 AM   #17
Mustangj

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 17

B. Nektar...FTW!!

Michigan Mashers
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/michigan-mashers/

Old 05-06-2011, 02:15 AM   #18
BrothersDrake
Recipes 

Default thank you!

@huntingohio Thanks for the props. We aim to the be the best, using only local honey and fruits. We do not distribute outside of Columbus OH and never will so I'm not on here to promote commercially. I'm Woody Drake, of Brothers Drake, and I started homebrewing in 1994 and keep learning, so I'm here to encourage more homebrewing and delicious mead - as well as learn from the best, which are the homebrewers.

I've found I can make mead bone dry to ice wine sweet, depending on what kind of yeast I use, how much sugar I start with, how long I let the yeast go, and whether or not I choose to add sweetness back at the end. More than anything I'd suggest befriending a beekeeper and using fresh local honey for your homebrew. Mead will age like Katherine Hepburn so put it back and, especially with the dry meads, it's best 3-5 years in. Sweet and semi-sweet are a minimum of 6 months. Also, if you are doing a melomel, put fruit in the primary and the secondary. It really helps create more layers of flavor. Just primary = scrubbed/earthy. Just secondary = too juicelike. primary + secondary = complexity.

keep brewing! and as Charlie would say "relax. have a homebrew"

Old 05-06-2011, 02:47 AM   #19
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've been waiting patiently for an American mead in Australia, or at least one that will ship it to me. I only have one type of mead over here, and it isn't all that great. B.Nektar looks so delicious

P.S. Any chance of shipping me a few bottles, Woody?

Secondary:

Bottled: JAOM, Amber Ale

Old 05-06-2011, 10:13 AM   #20
UncHellMatt
Recipes 

I've become quite partial to a meadery in Portland, ME near my girlfriend's house, called MeadWorks. They have a fascinating method for their fermentation that I couldn't begin to describe beyond saying it looked like a scene out of Space 1999. Their mead is slowly "pushed" through a series of long, vertical tubes in which boiled and dried chunks of ginger (all the flavor removed) infused with a yeast reside. They hand carried the yeast back from Africa, after consulting and working with Dr. Garth Cambray of Makana Meadery. Should any of you wind up in Portland I highly advise a visit and a tour. They do tastings all day from what I've seen, and the people there are all very friendly and enjoy talking mead. They're the ones, actually, who inspired me to try making a capsicumel.

Oh, and their HoneyMaker Dry Hopped Mead is delicious.

Cripes I sound like an advert....

Quick Reply