Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Steeping Grains in Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2013, 11:37 PM   #1
Jipper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Steeping Grains in Mead

Hey All,

So I had an interesting thought the other day, and am not sure if I'm just plain stupid, or if this might actually be worth looking into. I was considering doing a mead, but prior to adding the honey to the water, heating it up to ~150°F and steeping 1-2lbs of specialty malt first. Has anyone tried this? If so, which malts did you use? Was thinking a dark, slightly roasty mead might be interesting, but not sure I want to spend the time or energy if someone has tried it and dumped it all down the drain.

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #2
Brann_mac_Finnchad
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Go for it. It's a style of mead known as a braggot. I don't see any reason why not to use those grains, so long as you like the style of beer they are used in (I'm not a beer drinker, so can't really help there)...

Primary: House Cider; Rhubarb Wine (two batches), Carrot Wine, Malliard Botchet
Secondary: Mahlab Metheglin
Tertiary (or higher): Raspberry Cider

Drinking: House Cider, Rhubarb Saisoff

Old 04-09-2013, 02:16 AM   #3
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Because you'll be heating the hell out of something that doesn't need i.e. the honey.

Give it a go but just do the heating of the water and malt, then add the honey when cooled and stir well then pitch yeast.......

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 04-09-2013, 03:26 AM   #4
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts

If you do add grains you have mashed the resulting liquid, with or without honey, should be boiled to kill any undesirable stuff from the grains. A pile of spent grain goes south quick.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:59 AM   #5
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 23

To clarify a few points...I'm not sure I'd put what the OP is considering in the category of braggot, as steeping specialty grains is not really going to contribute any fermentables -- braggot implies that a significant portion of the OG is actually coming from barley or other grain source as opposed to the honey. I'd almost consider the idea more of a "barley metheglin," if you will; ie, only flavor and color is coming from the grain. Also, strictly speaking, many specialty grains (particularly the darker, roasty ones) don't need to be mashed; in fact, some recipes advocate cold steeping certain dark grains rather than mashing them. However, brewingmeister brings up a very good point -- malted barley is rich in lactobacillus, and potentially other spoilage organisms, and even if you were to cold steep the grains, I'd strongly consider boiling then cool the liquid before adding the honey and proceeding with fermentation.

Overall, though, it sounds like a pretty cool idea...hope you try it and report back...

Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Heady Topper Clone! Wild Cider?, Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 04-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
Jipper
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 40 Posts

Thanks for the feedback all! I think I'm going to give this a go in a couple weeks when time allows. I'll let you know the recipe and will try to take a few pictures as well. I'll most likely do a three gallon batch to start. Will use around a half pound to a pound of steeping malts, will bring to a 5 minute boil, will then recirculate through my counterflow chiller and will add the honey at around 100, while continuing to bring it down to pitch.

Will keep you all posted, cheers!

Quick Reply