Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Started my first mead - pom melomel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2006, 03:26 PM   #11
BrewStef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Sounds great! I look forward to hearing how it turns out.

Mmmm...pom mead....

I am really interested in knowing how the pom flavor comes through with that recipe. But we will probably have to wait a while to find out!

Cheers to your efforts!

BrewStef

Primary: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled and Drinking: Maibock, EdWort's Apfelwein, Traditional MeadUp Next: Cherry Melomel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2006, 06:02 PM   #12
Blackbyrd2
Recipes 

When you say you added '1 oz (7spoonfuls)' of Earl Gray, did you mean you brewed some earl gray, and added approx 7 teaspoonfuls of brewed beverage, or did you add approx 7 spoonfuls of actual, dry tea?

I realize this may seem a silly question, especially in light of the fact that your SG indicates a decent ABV. I was just struck by how quickly your activity seemd to finish.

Old 07-11-2006, 04:36 PM   #13
opqdan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbyrd2
When you say you added '1 oz (7spoonfuls)' of Earl Gray, did you mean you brewed some earl gray, and added approx 7 teaspoonfuls of brewed beverage, or did you add approx 7 spoonfuls of actual, dry tea?

I realize this may seem a silly question, especially in light of the fact that your SG indicates a decent ABV. I was just struck by how quickly your activity seemd to finish.
I added the leaves in a mesh bag to the must while it was warm. I was just experimenting and I doubt there was nearly enough, or that it was in long enough to impart any sort of real flavor. I had meant to do some more, but partway through I decided that I would have no idea what the results would be and I should stick with something similar.

I think that the fast fermentation was due to the temperature that the must was kept at at the begining of fermentation. It seriously took less than an hour from addition to bubbling in the airlock. Maybe they are just super yeast.

I racked it to a secondary last night, cause I don't want it sitting on the goop at the bottom. I took a hydrometer reading and got 1.010, but I forgot to correct for temperature. That would only change it a bit though. Even though this is the same reading as the last one, it tastes sweeter and is actually pretty good. Obviously it needs to age, and I will still add more pomegranate for color and taste eventually. Now that it is in secondary though, I'm just going to (try to) forget about it for a couple months.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:19 PM   #14
BrewStef

Recipes 

How did this turn out?

Primary: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled and Drinking: Maibock, EdWort's Apfelwein, Traditional MeadUp Next: Cherry Melomel

Old 01-15-2007, 06:40 PM   #15
jefeweizen
Recipes 

bump - i'm curious as well as to how this ended! don't leave us hanging!

Old 01-16-2007, 09:07 PM   #16
MikeRLynch

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I know, I've got 3 gallons cooking in the closet right now, along with a gallon ageing out in the pantry. What's the final say?

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Old 01-31-2007, 02:32 PM   #17
opqdan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Right now I am not sure of the quality. I've been adding more pom juice and honey over the months in order to up the sweetness a bit and give it more flavor. It actually tastes rather lovely, although it would be classified as closer to a pomegranete wine over a melomel.

I recently moved across the country (Cleveland, Ohio -> Redmond, WA) for a job out of college, and I was unable to have the carboy shipped with everything else. Right now it is sitting in my parents basement in Ohio, where is will be happy until I can visit in May, when I will probably bottle it, or at the very least move it to a tertiary.

The color is beautiful and the SG right now is around 1.018 which would put it as a medium sweet mead. Before bottling though, I will probably stop the fermentation and add more honey to bring it into Sweet Mead levels.

Quick Reply