Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Started my first mead!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 01:48 AM   #11
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Wyeast 4184 (assuming a typo from the OP) has a temperature range listed of 65-75°F... As long as you're keeping it in that range you'll be fine.

IMO, if the batch has an internal temperature above 65F, you'll be fine. I wouldn't want to get it over about 72F due to what you can get for off flavors there. You could need to give it longer to age out if it ferments too warm.

BTW, I would seriously look to use Lalvin yeast for your next batch. IMO/IME (others as well) you'll get a far better end product with those strains. Plus the greater range of yeast strains, temperature ranges, and ABV ranges will go a long way to making a really great mead.

BTW, nitack, this is not a beer yeast, but mead/wine yeast. The temperature ranges can be very different. Lalvin RC-212 has a temperature range of 68° to 86°F. Where K1V has a range of 50° to 95°F. IMO/IME, better to KNOW what a yeast's range is than guess.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 03:04 AM   #12
firestem4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm planning to try Lalvin the next time. If for as much reason so I can experiment and try different things. I have no particular favorite yet since I'm just starting out. The hard start with the Wyeast doesn't give much me confidence for trying another mead with it.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:11 AM   #13
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestem4 View Post
I'm planning to try Lalvin the next time. If for as much reason so I can experiment and try different things. I have no particular favorite yet since I'm just starting out. The hard start with the Wyeast doesn't give much me confidence for trying another mead with it.
Which is why most people avoid using liquid 'mead' yeast strains. 99% of the time (or more) you'll get a better mead with a Lalvin strain.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-10-2013, 02:52 AM   #14
firestem4
Recipes 

So I took a 2nd gravity reading today and it is at 1.091. I pitched it on the 5th but it really didn't start until Tuesday morning.so from 1.102 to 1.091 does that seem like good progress?

Also, how do you aerate when the thing is a pressure bomb? I made the unfortunately learning mistake of putting a solid stopper on it..so I could try to shake it harder..That was...a mistake. lol

Old 01-10-2013, 03:04 AM   #15
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestem4 View Post
So I took a 2nd gravity reading today and it is at 1.091. I pitched it on the 5th but it really didn't start until Tuesday morning.so from 1.102 to 1.091 does that seem like good progress?

Also, how do you aerate when the thing is a pressure bomb? I made the unfortunately learning mistake of putting a solid stopper on it..so I could try to shake it harder..That was...a mistake. lol
If you've not aerated/degassed it, that could very well be the issue. You want to get some CO2 out of solution (moderate swirling should do it), then get O2 into solution (heavier swirling may be needed). Some people use whips to do this, or other items. With the small opening on your bottle, it's not going to be easy (or pretty).

Fermenting
K1:

Old 01-10-2013, 03:50 AM   #16
firestem4
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
If you've not aerated/degassed it, that could very well be the issue. You want to get some CO2 out of solution (moderate swirling should do it), then get O2 into solution (heavier swirling may be needed). Some people use whips to do this, or other items. With the small opening on your bottle, it's not going to be easy (or pretty).
Looks like i really didnt' degas it enough. I did it some more and I had to replace my airlock cause I got a lot of foam into it. I kept swirling it around and it's really gone down. I've been reading that I should aerate/degas until the 1/3 sugar break. Is this a good recommendation?

Also, thank you for all of the advice so far. It has been greatly helpful

Old 01-10-2013, 03:52 AM   #17
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yes... Degas and aerate until you hit the 1/3 break... Normally, you do that with the airlock removed from the vessel. It is easier when you have more head space though. Which is why most people primary 1 gallon batches in 2 gallon pails/buckets. Also allows you to use a whip/whisk to do the duty to it. Then you can whip it, whip it good.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 01-10-2013, 05:06 AM   #18
firestem4
Recipes 

edit: answered my own question, nvm!

Quick Reply