Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Sparkling Strawberry Cyser?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2014, 05:27 AM   #1
TRueff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default Sparkling Strawberry Cyser?

Greetings,

I have only been home-brewing for a few years, but this spring I've become more focused on ciders and fruit wines than "beer" proper. I've always really enjoyed good ciders. Doing a bit of browsing, I came across cyser, which instantly piqued my interest -- it had elements of cider, plus the benefit of higher alcohol content. In march (2014) I started my first batch of cyser from 4 gallons of organic apple cider (whole foods brand), and 5.5 lbs of local raw honey. I added some pectic enzyme (because the batch of straight cider i had attempted previously, never cleared, which bothered me) and used Wyeast Dry Mead. Ended up at about 11.2% abv

At present (June, 2014) I've only got one liter of it left. I have really enjoyed it; it's more like a white wine than a cider. And I noticed that the longer it sat (I racked it 3 times) the clearer it became and the better (mellower) it tasted.

So today I started my second batch of cyser; this time, I wanted to tweak a few things. (1) I wanted to add a new flavor. I like strawberries, and they're in season now, so I decided I go with strawberries. (2) I want to try to make this batch be a sparkling (carbonated) cyser, since my last batch was still. Here's my recipe:

---Ingredients---

- 4 gallons pasteurized apple cider (Wholefoods brand, organic - 4 x 1 gallon glass jugs)

- 5.5 lbs local, organic, unprocessed honey (2 x 44 oz. Jars)

- 6 lbs Driscoll's organic Strawberries

- 2.5 teaspoons pectic enzyme

- 1 package Wyeast #4632 Dry Mead

---Procedure---

1. Pour 2 gallons cider into 5 gallon (sterilized) fermenter.

2. Pour half of each of the remaining two, 1 gallon jugs of cider into the fermenter. Pour 1 jar of honey into each half empty jug of cider, cap, and shake vigorously until honey is dissolved, then pour into fermenter.

3. Dump strawberries into a basin of weak iodine solution, to kill off wild yeasts and/or other germs, then rinse.

4. Process 6 lbs of strawberries through (sanitized) Brevile juice fountain. Add strawberry juice to cider/honey mixture in fermenter

* initial gravity reading was 1.086

5. Add 2.5 teaspoons pectic enzyme; seal fermenter with air lock

6. After 6 hours, pitch yeast.

-------------------------------------------

As I am new to this, I am really just sort of free-styling here, and would love ANY input, advice, or tips that may be helpful in guiding a budding mead enthusiast. Specifically, if anyone has ever made a similar recipe, has experience fermenting strawberries, or making sparkling cyser would be REALLY appreciated!

Cheers everyone!

T.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2014, 07:05 AM   #2
WVMJ
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Get some potassium metabisulfite instead of dipping your berries in iodine to kill any bugs, and you can just add them to your must after squishing them up a bit in a brew bag. A little bit of oak also goes well with this. If you add a few more strawberries at the end of the primary ferment and then strain them out it will add a bit more nose to your cyser. WVMJ

gratus fermentatio Likes This 
Old 06-19-2014, 12:42 PM   #3
TRueff
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the tips! Much appreciated!

Old 06-20-2014, 08:18 AM   #4
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 755 Times on 529 Posts
Likes Given: 1992

+ 1 on using sulfite instead of iodine. I like the idea of juicing the berries, this will make things much easier than having to deal with actual fruit in primary or secondary & you'll likely get more flavour from less fruit that way. Though, if you use a mesh bag, it's pretty easy if you're using a bucket fermenter. I'd freeze & thaw those berries before juicing or adding to the must, it'll help to break down the cell walls & wil give you a much better juice extraction.

If you're going to use sulfites, I'd just sulfite the entire must, that way there is nothing left to chance. Also, wait at least 12 hrs after adding the sulfite before you add the pectic enzyme, adding them too close together lessens their effects, they apparently don't play well together. I'd also add yeast nutrient/energizer & a dose of diammonium phosphate (DAP) to give the yeast everything it needs for a healthy fermentation.
Regards, GF.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
lolznrofls
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

If your not pressed for time I freeze my fruit for a good week to kill off the wild yeast and stuff..SWMBO is sulfite sensitive so I try to stay away from k meta as much as possible.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:42 PM   #6
TRueff
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all of the input! Yeah, I will freeze berries next time (before secondary). Also, I've seen a lot of people mention yeast energizer/nutrients, and DAP, and acid blends, etc. Could anyone give me a good explanation as to what all of these things are and why they are needed? I made a batch of cyser before this current one (just 4 gal cider + 5.5 lbs honey, pectic enzyme, and Wyeast Dry Mead) and it fermented from OG 1.084 to 1.000 in a little less than a month. It was clear, and it tasted good (especially after mellowing in secondary another month or so).

I guess I'm just wary of adding things which I don't really understand, and would like to keep things as simple and natural as possible.

Cheers!

Old 06-20-2014, 12:44 PM   #7
TRueff
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVMJ View Post
Get some potassium metabisulfite instead of dipping your berries in iodine to kill any bugs, and you can just add them to your must after squishing them up a bit in a brew bag. A little bit of oak also goes well with this. If you add a few more strawberries at the end of the primary ferment and then strain them out it will add a bit more nose to your cyser. WVMJ

I'm intrigued by your suggestion of adding Oak. Could you elaborate for a newbie, please?

Old 06-21-2014, 02:50 AM   #8
WVMJ
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I personally like to start out with some oakmor powder in the primary like they do for kit wines, the oak powder falls to the bottom with the lees after the ferment has slowed and you can rack off of it and leave it behind. If you want more oak you can add some chips, or a stave, spirals are popular but expensive compared to chips. Just chuck them in there, start with a little, if that isnt enough add some more, dont add to much our you will think you are drinking plywood! We did that on purpose one year with an elderberry wine, put lots and lots of oak in it and used those bottles for topping up other wines. WVMJ

Old 06-21-2014, 01:08 PM   #9
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 755 Times on 529 Posts
Likes Given: 1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRueff View Post
I've seen a lot of people mention yeast energizer/nutrients, and DAP, and acid blends, etc. Could anyone give me a good explanation as to what all of these things are and why they are needed?
I guess I'm just wary of adding things which I don't really understand, and would like to keep things as simple and natural as possible.

Cheers!
This should help:
https://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_productdetail.cfm?ProductID=15

AND:
https://www.wyeastlab.com/he-yeast-fundamentals.cfm

AND:
http://blog.eckraus.com/blog/wine-making-tricks-and-tips/5-things-you-should-know-about-acid-blend/

Diammonium Phosphate:
One of the major ingredients in almost all yeast nutrients and energizers, serving as their basic source of nitrogen. Also known as DAP.
Regards, GF.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:26 PM   #10
lolznrofls
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVMJ View Post
I personally like to start out with some oakmor powder in the primary like they do for kit wines, the oak powder falls to the bottom with the lees after the ferment has slowed and you can rack off of it and leave it behind. If you want more oak you can add some chips, or a stave, spirals are popular but expensive compared to chips. Just chuck them in there, start with a little, if that isnt enough add some more, dont add to much our you will think you are drinking plywood! We did that on purpose one year with an elderberry wine, put lots and lots of oak in it and used those bottles for topping up other wines. WVMJ
Whoa..thats a great idea..over oak some stuff to blend..lightbulb in my head just went all strobe mode and stuff

Quick Reply