Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Sparkeloid?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2013, 03:08 AM   #1
curtisdahl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sparkeloid?

Can someone explain to me the the process for adding this I understand the amount per gallon and the boiling and all that. My question is after boiling do I pour it in and leave it or so I shake the carboy to mix it or stir it I guess should be an option. Any advice would be good

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2013, 05:37 AM   #2
pujiman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

From what i understand if your trying to make a mead your better off without that, meads should be natural as possible. unless you really want a clear drink right away, i would just rerack into a second carboy or even a third.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:10 AM   #3
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Stir it in gently to make sure of even distribution so it does its thing as intended......

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 07-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
WVMJ
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Meads should be made any way you want to enjoy them. The Honey should be as natural as possible WVMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pujiman View Post
From what i understand if your trying to make a mead your better off without that, meads should be natural as possible. unless you really want a clear drink right away, i would just rerack into a second carboy or even a third.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisdahl View Post
Can someone explain to me the the process for adding this I understand the amount per gallon and the boiling and all that. My question is after boiling do I pour it in and leave it or so I shake the carboy to mix it or stir it I guess should be an option. Any advice would be good
Per http://www.scottlab.com/product-204.aspx for the Hot Mix Sparkolloid product:

To Prepare:
-Make sure you have Hot Mix, not Cold Mix product
-Heat water to boiling [1-2 gallons of water per pound Hot Mix Sparkolloid NF (8-15 L/kg)].
-Slowly stir in the Hot Mix Sparkolloid NF. Maintain temperature above 82°C(180°F) while agitating the mixture constantly until all of the translucent globules of clarifier have been dissolved and the mixture is smooth and creamy (approximately 20-30 minutes).
To Use It:
- While still hot, slowly add the mixture to the wine. Stir to thoroughly incorporate.
-Let the wine settle one week or more, depending somewhat on the volume of wine involved. Then filter, preferably from the top of container.

I found that Sparkolloid alone creates light, fluffy lees but if you are one of those who uses bentonite up front & then uses Sparkolloid much later the lees created by the Sparkolloid fallout are much more compact.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 07-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 282 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I've used it a couple times. I boiled the sparkloid and poured it into an empty carboy. Then I racked the wine, mead, cyser into the carboy. 4 weeks later, nice and clear.

On deck: Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Hazelnut Sweet Stout, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Quick Reply