Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Soon a Beekeeper

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #11
WVMJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Its area specific, search your local area for beekeepers associations, those folks can tell you what kind of equipment you need, where to get bees that can survive in your kind of climate. I have had honey from MI, it was very good, are you in an orchard area or wild area? WVMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCider View Post
Whats the start-up cost to do this? I would google but I'm about to take off to the store?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #12
jmureiko
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge
I'm in Nova Scotia, so I don't know much about aquiring bees in any other province or in the States. The startup cost for me will be the cost of bees, which is about 150 bucks. I'm building my own hive - a warré hive - which anyone who knows how to use a handsaw and swing a hammer should be able to do with some scrap lumber. Here, we simply register with the Department of Agriculture and then go to it.
Glad to hear you're taking a simple, less conventional approach than the traditional langstroth hive. I've moved to the horizontal top bar hive for this year in my apiary. I'd be very interested to hear about your experience with the warre!

Old 02-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #13
Verge
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmureiko View Post
Glad to hear you're taking a simple, less conventional approach than the traditional langstroth hive. I've moved to the horizontal top bar hive for this year in my apiary. I'd be very interested to hear about your experience with the warre!
I'll be sure to post a review of my experiences! I'm not entirely sold on the rhetoric of the warré being the most sustainable hive, but I certainly agree with the abbé's argument that it's a low-maintenance and backyard-friendly approach to apiculture that is especially suited for beekeepers on a budget. I plan to read David Heaf and Phil Chandler's work on warré and other top-bar hives in the Spring, and perhaps they'll convince me of the other benefits. I'm a sucker for empirical evidence, so I'll probably only believe that the Warré is actually more sustainable (ie, does not promote problems with colonies to the extent a Langstroth does) after seeing the results of people who have conducted some real tests.

I always love undertaking new projects

Primary: Stout, Hopped Cider, Hopped Cider with Honey
Secondary: British Pale Ale
Bottled: Merlot, Dark Munich Lager, Cider, Oaked Cider

Old 02-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #14
jmureiko
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge

I'll be sure to post a review of my experiences! I'm not entirely sold on the rhetoric of the warré being the most sustainable hive, but I certainly agree with the abbé's argument that it's a low-maintenance and backyard-friendly approach to apiculture that is especially suited for beekeepers on a budget. I plan to read David Heaf and Phil Chandler's work on warré and other top-bar hives in the Spring, and perhaps they'll convince me of the other benefits. I'm a sucker for empirical evidence, so I'll probably only believe that the Warré is actually more sustainable (ie, does not promote problems with colonies to the extent a Langstroth does) after seeing the results of people who have conducted some real tests.

I always love undertaking new projects
Phil chandlers book, The barefoot beekeeper, is a very worthwhile read on horizontal top bar hives.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #15
SudsyPaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Subbing. I'm working on convincing my wife we should move out of the city on the edge of the burbs and get a bigger house with a massive lot. With the massive lot comes tons of veggies and hopefully bee-keeping (of super-small proportions).

Anxious to see how the bees fare. Good luck!

Old 02-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #16
liquiditynerd
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Wow you are up there, eh? I'm from buffalo so I like ribbing y'all. I love the sounds of your plan. Were talking about doing something similar when we get out the south.

We actually have a great relationship with the dept of AG, the county and city. If you register your hives you get the 411 on pesticide spraying schedules and they'll actually avoid your hive. It also gets you hive assistance and monitoring. ( the good kind) our local beekeeper association has really coalesced.

Bonne chance

....just add water.....

Old 02-26-2013, 02:05 AM   #17
Verge
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SudsyPaul View Post
Subbing. I'm working on convincing my wife we should move out of the city on the edge of the burbs and get a bigger house with a massive lot. With the massive lot comes tons of veggies and hopefully bee-keeping (of super-small proportions).

Anxious to see how the bees fare. Good luck!
Thanks! And I think that's a great idea. Growing my own food is one of my greatest pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquiditynerd View Post
Wow you are up there, eh? I'm from buffalo so I like ribbing y'all. I love the sounds of your plan. Were talking about doing something similar when we get out the south.

We actually have a great relationship with the dept of AG, the county and city. If you register your hives you get the 411 on pesticide spraying schedules and they'll actually avoid your hive. It also gets you hive assistance and monitoring. ( the good kind) our local beekeeper association has really coalesced.

Bonne chance
Merci I've secretly also got US Citizenship, but I don't spread it around too much...

Old 02-26-2013, 02:10 AM   #18
dwoods
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackin View Post
Beekeeping is a lot of fun, unless you have bears.
Thats why my grandfather sold his hives.

“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes & dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than to be selfish and worry about my liver.' ”

Jack Handy

Old 02-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #19
nitack
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Virginia has a grant program for new hives. You can get $200 for each new hive you put in, up to $2400.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:55 AM   #20
Verge
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitack View Post
Virginia has a grant program for new hives. You can get $200 for each new hive you put in, up to $2400.
I wish this was the case for me. That would pay for the bees, hive, and still give me a bit of cash left over to buy some celebratory malt.

Quick Reply