Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > SodaStream for force carbonation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2010, 11:49 PM   #1
cscala
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default SodaStream for force carbonation?

I saw this on sale for $80 bucks...It looks intriguing.

Whatcha think? SodaStream Carbonator

How much does that compare to kegging?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2010, 12:11 AM   #2
Fletch78
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I read about that after hearing about it on the radio a few weeks ago. I don't remember exactly what turned me off, but it was a thumbs down.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:19 AM   #3
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscala View Post
I saw this on sale for $80 bucks...It looks intriguing.

Whatcha think? SodaStream Carbonator

How much does that compare to kegging?
It's an interesting concept since it literally carbs within seconds, but it's no substitute for kegging. What, would you keep your fermented beer in a bottling bucket and pour/carbonate one glass at a time? That'd be a no.

Corrupt Brewers

Old 11-23-2010, 12:23 AM   #4
richc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My wife has something similar for making soda water on the cheap and I had one as a child a good 25 years ago. A fair bit of leakage when carbonating water is OK, it's much less acceptable when it is beer leaking everywhere....

Old 11-23-2010, 12:58 AM   #5
mrmekon
Recipes 

My SWMBO desperately wants one of these. I was going to get her one for christmas, but reviews changed my mind. Apparently the CO2 cartridges have a proprietary connector, and they are very expensive, and the company is very bad about replacing them (they have a recycling program).

Bottled :

Old 11-23-2010, 01:06 AM   #6
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I haven't ordered from this site, but their products make the proprietary fitting less of an issue.

http://www.co2doctor.com/ordering.htm

Old 11-23-2010, 01:19 AM   #7
snccoulter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I like the Soda Stream system we have had it for about 3 months and it works great. We only carb soda with it. The one thing i wit you coud do with it is wash the bottles in the dishwasher. instead i use starsan to wash them

“Fairy tales don't tell children that dragons exist; children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”
― G.K. Chesterton
http://whatalesyou.webs.com/

Old 11-23-2010, 02:01 PM   #8
cscala
Recipes 

So to those who have the Soda Stream - would it be good for mead/wine? What about leakage issues as mentioned previously? Would I be better off investing in a more beer-oriented setup despite my rather alarming lack of space? (In addition to my new home-vinting fascination, I have a full glass-blowing (torch work) studio in my garage, and SWMBO is crafting-obsessed to the point of lunacy as well)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea View Post
would you keep your fermented beer in a bottling bucket and pour/carbonate one glass at a time? That'd be a no.
I agree, it's not suitable for BEER... however, it might be appropriate for wine products, carbonating one liter at a time just before serving...although figuring out a way to force carb directly in the bottle would be pretty neat too. Adapter time?

Old 11-23-2010, 02:39 PM   #9
snccoulter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I would not force carb into glass. it is some high pressurs to get it to carb if youdo carb your wine/mead use the bottles provided the poor out of them...

“Fairy tales don't tell children that dragons exist; children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”
― G.K. Chesterton
http://whatalesyou.webs.com/

Old 11-23-2010, 03:44 PM   #10
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This has been a consideration of mine this year. Prior to getting into beer, I was considering getting a soda stream. (I think I still will) and my reasoning is this:
For a full keg/CO2 tank setup, that would be great, but I would want my carbonated items chilled, requiring the addition of a kegerator/fridge. This puts me upwards of $500 just for the kegerator (premade or self made), co2 tank and co2, lines, used corny kegs(x3).
While it's still my aim, I'll be getting the soda stream because I can carbonate small bottles and chill them for personal use. Mostly carbonated water, but I think it would be good for a co2 test as well.

I bottle carb my beer, cider and soon mead, and plan to continue this process since if I'm aging them anyways, I might as well. But, there are times when I have about 28 ounces left which I plan to toss into one of these bottles, carb and have a taste test that resembles the final product that day. (Usually beer, maybe a sweet cider. Unlikely mead since that does better aged.)

(Plus, I have an espresso machine so I have a few dozen syrup flavors so I go through carbonated water pretty quickly.)

Other options include building your own carbonator using a co2 tank, lines gague and modifying a cap to be able to pressurize a standard 2 litre pop bottle. There's instructions online, but I don't feel confident enough to do that yet. (That would probably cost $130 or so).

As for Sodastream, depending on your location, you can often find stores that will do the replacements. Williams-Sonoma does this.

Btw, you may have wanted this in the soda making forum, or the kegging forum as opposed to the mead forum.

Quick Reply