Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Snow Storm Ruined My Braggot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2010, 04:55 AM   #1
1Brotherbill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Snow Storm Ruined My Braggot

So my Braggot was sitting on the counter on Friday it was done bubbling on Thursday. So I figured I would bottle it on Friday. Well I didn't get around to it. Then comes gigantic Blizzard on Saturday. So I spent all day Saturday shoveling. Last night before I went to work I looked at the air lock and most of the water is gone. On Thursday it was half full and now it's below the bell for the air lock.

So has this happened before. What I think happened was that when the storm came through the low air pressure pulled the CO2 out of the primary through the airlock. Then when the high pressure came through today it pushed the water up through the airlock. I have a feeling my science might be a bit off on this but where else could the water have gone in a day and a half. It couldn't have evaporated that fast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 04:58 AM   #2
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6269 Times on 5441 Posts
Likes Given: 814

1) you were going to bottle a braggot the day after it stopped bubbling??

2) you're using a better bottle, right? they tend to "suck back" with pressure changes

3) don't worry, add some more liquid to the airlock....

4) again, you were going to bottle a braggot the day after it stopped bubbling? Are you sure it's done?

Old 12-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
daugenet
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Depending on the humidity in your house there is the chance it evaporated. If I dont run my humidifiers in my house the humidity drops very quickly.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
truckjohn
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

That's why I like using cheap vodka in my air locks..... There aren't many nasties that can survive in 45% ABV grain alcohol....

I also gave up on the 3-pc air locks for the old S-style ones... They don't suck back.

Thanks

John

Old 12-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Huh??? How do you recon a little suckback, which happens to a lot of people ruined your braggot? That's making a pretty big leap. I'd relax if I were you.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-14-2010, 07:30 PM   #6
truckjohn
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Exactly.... I had an air lock go totally dry for probably more than 6-months on a batch of wine I forgot about.... Turned out fine -- in fact, it tasted pretty good because it was *TOTALLY* degassed....

I am also with a few others here on the caution about bottling it as soon as it stops bubbling... Mead isn't beer - it needs more time to age out... The normal thing to do is to let it sit a *Really* long time before you bottle it up... Years isn't too long.... but a week or 2 isn't enough usually.

Thanks

Old 12-14-2010, 07:33 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckjohn View Post
Exactly.... I had an air lock go totally dry for probably more than 6-months on a batch of wine I forgot about.... Turned out fine -- in fact, it tasted pretty good because it was *TOTALLY* degassed....
+1,000

The thing to remember is, even with a dry airlock is that the bad stuff are not ninja acrobats....whether it is a 3 piece or an s type, they would have to get through the cap at the top, then either negotiate a series of twist and turns through an S shaped "track" OR have to dive down, then climb up the center post under the plastic bubbler, then lift said bubbler up enough to the make it into the center post and dive into your fermenter....and STILL have to negotiate the rising co2 current pushing out of the fermenter itself....Think about it...Even without water in there, do you think a piece of dust can make this journey?

Needless to say a piece of dust ain't gonna make it. And not much else either. Relax

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-14-2010, 08:10 PM   #8
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
+1,000

The thing to remember is, even with a dry airlock is that the bad stuff are not ninja acrobats....whether it is a 3 piece or an s type, they would have to get through the cap at the top, then either negotiate a series of twist and turns through an S shaped "track" OR have to dive down, then climb up the center post under the plastic bubbler, then lift said bubbler up enough to the make it into the center post and dive into your fermenter....and STILL have to negotiate the rising co2 current pushing out of the fermenter itself....Think about it...Even without water in there, do you think a piece of dust can make this journey?

Needless to say a piece of dust ain't gonna make it. And not much else either. Relax
Your MS Paint skills need some work, but classic nonetheless. Only issue is that when a 3-piece sucks back, you get whatever liquid you used in your fermenter.

With that said, +1 to the mention of vodka in the airlocks.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:40 PM   #9
Bush_84
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That picture made me chuckle.

Primary- Raspberry Melomel - Raspberry Cider
Secondary-Welch Grape Wine - Mapfelwien
Bottled- Mott's Cider - Strawberry Mead - Hard Lemonade - The 84 Bushwacker (~11 abv cider) -Mixed Berry Cider - Graff
-The 84 Bushwacker v2.0

Old 12-15-2010, 05:03 PM   #10
MarzBock
Recipes 

Reminds me of Pasteur's original experiements with milk. He put boiled milk in a "goose-neck" flask so that dust settled in the neck and couldn't get into the milk. The milk did not go rancid and the concept that dust carries bad stuff was born...

Quick Reply