The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > SNA/ Aerating pyment, cyser, braggot etc

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
WIMARIPA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default SNA/ Aerating pyment, cyser, braggot etc

I do the SNA with vigorous aeration for pure meads and methelgins (and i avoid the question with melomels by only adding fruit to secondary), but with other types of meads where honey is only part of the fermentables (such as pyment/ cyser/ braggot) what is a reasonable approach to nutrient addition and aeration? With pure styles of wine/ cider/ beer aeration is strictly prohibited, but does the the addition of honey change this? Can I reduce or avoid the addition of nutrients because of the nutrients already present in the grape juice/ cider/ wort? What is your approach/ experience with these types of brew?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
pvtpublic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Give it a good swirl every day for a week, it's not going to hurt it. I swirl all my batches and i've never had a failed batch of mead because of it. It will help get the co2 away from your yeast and get the o2 to it a little. Just a light swirl for about 10-30 seconds is all you need. I always put in a bit of nutrient and energizer, but only half with melomels, cysers, etc. I have yet to have a problem with it.

Primary: Great Pumpkin Ale
Secondary: Maple Red Ale
Aging: nadda
Bottled: Wild Grape Pyment, Dry Hopped Mead, Wild Grape Wine, Blackberry Melomel, Plastic Melomel
Screwed Up: Pale Ale, Stout, Maple wine, Blueberry Melomel.
*Chug-a-lug, Chug-a-lug*

Old 08-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
commonsenseman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I agree with pvt.

While it's not necessary for a braggot because of the wort (depending on the ratio of malt/honey), it certainly won't hurt it. It also depends on the gravity; for a really high gravity it is fairly common practice to add an additional shot of 02 later in the fermentation.

Adding some nutrients won't hurt it at all, but recipes with a fair amount of malt don't necessarily need it.

"EC-1118 is a monster yeast. But it is also clean and quick. Like a humane serial killer."

1 Gal: Brandon O's-Graff
2 Gal: Big Ol' Barleywine
5 Gal: Graham's English Cider
5 Gal: Apfelwein

Old 08-26-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
MedsenFey
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Wine making usually call for nutrients and aeration (even white wines in most cases) to ensure complete fermentation. I use aeration and staggered nutrients in ciders with good results, and in a high gravity braggots I'd use some SNA and some aeration as well. Although most barely wines wouldn't need nutrients, some early aeration will help them complete fermentation as well.

About the only thing I don't aerate is regular strength beers.

Quick Reply