Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Skyrim Mead?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #11
alane1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 105

The recipe might be in one of those useless books that don't increase any of your skills.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #12
Devo9
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 53

What if the recipe does exist in the game and one of the ingredients is "spider eggs", "rat meat", or even "mort flesh"? Would you still want to make it?

Old 09-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #13
Devo9
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 53

But seriously, if you are truly interested in remaking this make believe drink, I suggest you play the game and look for clues.

Go to Black Briar Meadery and look for possible ingredients lying around. Anything hanging, in drawers, in barrels, or on tables could be an ingredient. Make a list of foods and spices found in the meadery and maybe you can come up with a recipe. I would think that salmon steaks and tomatoes should be rules out, but apples, flowers, berries, etc. could be used. Use your judgment and figure out a recipe that you think would work.

Many of the ingredients might be non-existent (like elves ear), but inspect the herb/ingredient and find a close substitute. As an example, elves ear resembles sage leaves or Irish moss instead of hanging moss.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #14
athhsan
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

I wont be homebrewing or even brewing (current project) if not for skyrim's MEAD piquing my interest. Never even heard of mead till skyrim.
Cant wait to taste it.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:03 AM   #15
loveofrose
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 1

From looking at alchemical ingredients, food tables, and conversations, I've gathered the following list of useable ingredients for mead from Skyrim:

Lavender
Juniper
Apples, oranges, and many other fruits
Snowberries - aka Ghostberry from honeysuckle family
Hops - implied from a beer reference
Various roots could be ginger, Angelica, or Borage.
There are also various flowers that could include elderflowers( Elder Scrolls Elderflower mead anyone?)

I think that is plenty of ingredient to make a good mead.
Let the unique recipe formulations fly!

Old 09-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #16
Scots_Pagan
Recipes 

Given the level of detail Bethesda put into Skyrim, asking them wouldn't actually be a bad idea.

The blacksmithing setup, for instance, is based on a real-world smithy; they visited various heritage places to get it right; I fail to see why they wouldn't have done the same for the Meadery; more so given a fairly major quest-chain revolves around it. Send them an email asking if they used a real-world meadery recipe for the basis, and if so, can you have it. Stress you are not in any way going to make, market or sell a mead as being based on their game, but you're merely a fan who wants to re-create that "look" (but NOT the name, otherwise legal will shut you down). Bethesda are a pretty fan-friendly company so you never know...

Old 09-08-2013, 01:46 AM   #17
alane1
Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I'm looking around Honningbrew Boilery and already see some problems, the mead is in coppers with a direct flame under it, since honey is aseptic it doesn't require boiling, but then again...it could be their water source. Assuming there are 4 coppers of water and 1 "honey pot", which would give a 4:1 ratio(or 3:1 if you don't count the one that's not burning). Honey being roughly 12 lbs. per gal.(depending on moisture %) in 4 gal. water would give you an o.g. of 1.085 or an o.g. of 1.106 in 3 gal water per 12lbs. of honey. I think that the 4th copper is a back-up for "water treatment", I would go for 12lbs honey in 3 gal. of water

009.jpg  

Old 09-09-2013, 07:10 AM   #18
Jenkins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

For the people saying "it's just a video game":
Bethesda started the Elder Scrolls series from a D&D campaign they wrote. If any of you have played D&D, you'd know that every single detail, including what went into a fictional mead, is up for consideration. The depth that Skyrim has is definitely enough to provide the player with clues as to what it might be made from.
My vote is for calling Bethesda; I bet they'd get a kick out of it.
You've got six months, so here you go:
http://bethsoft.com/en-us/contact

Old 09-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #19
UncleBilly88
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

First.. anyone who is talking trash about this post, it's a fantasy game! We know its not real. However Bethesda IS all about reality in their games.
Second, how cool would it be if they did hide an actual real life recipe in the game? Anyone know a game programer? They could make it a regular thing. Elder Scrolls Mead! Grand Theft Auto Lager! Ghost Recon Ale! Who wouldn't love a nice Red Dead Redemption Wine?
Just the thoughts of a drunk on a friday night.
Have fun and good drinking!

Old 09-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #20
TheBrewingPariah
Recipes 

Sooo I gave Bethesda an email, asking them to help me out. They sent me a reply that, although useless, brought a smile to my face

"I went over and had a talk with Ingun Black-Briar and she wouldn't spill the bean, but as you know she doesn't really get along with Maven very well, but I wasn't going to go to Maven herself, you know what kind of woman she can be. I decided then to risk contacting Hemming, he pulled a dagger on me but was too drunk to strike straight, let alone tell me anything about the recipe. So, that was everyone I was willing to ask, or risk asking.

I wasn't able to locate the recipe when I explored the Meadery either, but I managed to grab a few bottles, and I'd be willing to sit by the lake and share them with you, but I have no recipe to share.

I hope you make mead anyway ;-)

Peter M.
Customer Support
Bethesda Softworks

Guess I'm back to hunting for clues :/

Quick Reply