Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Skyrim and Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2012, 07:26 AM   #61
Flumpy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkula View Post
I played skyrim for about a week and decided I needed to make these for my next two brews.
Hey I really like your labels, do you have any higher-res versions of them to print out? Specifically the one with the spiders? thx

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #62
Penguinetti
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Have we gotten any closer to figuring out a recipe?

Has anyone already started brewing anything they thought might work?

Old 01-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #63
Drunkula
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flumpy View Post
I kind of liked the spiders. They made it a little edgy
Check the sign at the meadery. They are Honey bees. Couldn't leave my label so innacurate. flowers also lacked appropriate detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flumpy View Post
Hey I really like your labels, do you have any higher-res versions of them to print out? Specifically the one with the spiders? thx
follow the link at the bottom of the page. it will take you to my collected works. look under gallery/ skyrim. the one with the spiders is innacurate by in game standards and has been deleted. glad you dig them though.

The honningbrew clone I'm building Started with 4 gallons of tree top apple juice and 12 lbs of Fireweed honey. staged nutrients and lalvin ec-1118. Didn't take an og reading but smells ****ing awesome.

The black briar clone I'm building on uses Blackberry honey (A black fruit of the briar) and shall be spiced appropriately with cinnanmon, cloves, ginger, etc.

The Food Stamp Brewing Company- Getting drunk on the governments dime since 2010.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #64
Drunkula
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomico View Post
Nightshade - Green or red tomatoes, peppers, potatoes and eggplant are all nontoxic versions. I have also seen recipes for wines made with these.
Tomico
Terrible idea. it is a POPULAR mead. none of these would make for a drink with such popularity. As was already mentioned, The in game nightshade leaves itself open to no such interpretations.It is clearly a toxic variety.

Though I do agree on potential honey selection. blackberry honey with rosehips could work.

The Food Stamp Brewing Company- Getting drunk on the governments dime since 2010.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:33 AM   #65
Funktipus
Recipes 

First and foremost, I am excited about where this thread may go. I promised a friend (who also plays Skyrim) that I would formulate recipes for him, here's what I came up with:

Blackbriar Mead - Blackberry/Raspberry/Blueberry melomel, for reasons detailed by others. 5-gallon batch with 13 lbs honey, fermenting away in my closet now since the 4th.

Honningbrew Mead - Dunno why, but I was totally thinking spiced Cyser on this one. Could be the barrels of apples I found at the meadery. Gonna be a standard cyser with cloves and cinnamon, perhaps some Earl Grey?

I also want to make a juniper mead called Vidol's, based on the opening sequence to the game, but I'm gonna start that one in a 1-gallon batch to see how it tastes, lol.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:31 AM   #66
Drunkula
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funktipus View Post
First and foremost, I am excited about where this thread may go. I promised a friend (who also plays Skyrim) that I would formulate recipes for him, here's what I came up with:

Blackbriar Mead - Blackberry/Raspberry/Blueberry melomel, for reasons detailed by others. 5-gallon batch with 13 lbs honey, fermenting away in my closet now since the 4th.

Honningbrew Mead - Dunno why, but I was totally thinking spiced Cyser on this one. Could be the barrels of apples I found at the meadery. Gonna be a standard cyser with cloves and cinnamon, perhaps some Earl Grey?

I also want to make a juniper mead called Vidol's, based on the opening sequence to the game, but I'm gonna start that one in a 1-gallon batch to see how it tastes, lol.
We're on the same page. My honningbrew is about 2 weeks into its primary. adding cloves, (ginger too maybe?), and cinnamon in the secondary so as not to blow off the more delicate aeromatics.

After researching the Black briar more it would seem to be a metheglin but I like it better as lightly spiced a melomel. maybe a touch of cinnamon in your black briar in the secondary. like a pie. It is also oak aged as stated by the fellow at the front desk. casks designed by maven herself.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #67
Funktipus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkula View Post
We're on the same page. My honningbrew is about 2 weeks into its primary. adding cloves, (ginger too maybe?), and cinnamon in the secondary so as not to blow off the more delicate aeromatics.

After researching the Black briar more it would seem to be a metheglin but I like it better as lightly spiced a melomel. maybe a touch of cinnamon in your black briar in the secondary. like a pie. It is also oak aged as stated by the fellow at the front desk. casks designed by maven herself.
Nice! Make sure to post pictures when yours is done, and I'll do the same!

I actually hadn't considered spicing the blackbriar at all, but that sounds really good, now that you mention it. I went pretty light on the fruit in primary, so I'm gonna add a ton more to secondary in about a week or so. I really like the idea of pie spices, and the oak, so I'll probably go with those. I haven't actually explored the Blackbriar Meadery in-game yet, so I guess my research could be more complete, lol.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:32 PM   #68
4stringed
Recipes 

I've been meaning to make one of these for a while, I've got a buddy who's a celiac so I brew a cider now and then for him but since playing I've been thinking about doing something like this. Totally going to now! I've only ever had one mead and it was carbonated raspberry mead made by Alley Cat, kinda like a cooler, not a real mead I don't think. Lavender is such a nice additive I would love to use it. Thing is never brewed a mead before, I know there's lots of brainstorming going on but please post some recipes I have no clue how much of any spice to add!
Granted I need to do some more homework on the topic.
MOST EPIC THREAD EVER!!!!

Old 01-18-2012, 02:43 AM   #69
Drunkula
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

! stick of cinnamon per gallon is customary, but as fireweed honey seems to have a cinnamon-ish flavor (at least when using lalvin ec-1118) I was considering a half stick to let the flavor of the honey shine through.

My Honningbrew recipe thus far (I'm going to try to take this slow for those of us who started down the path to being a Mazer [Mead maker] because of skyrim. so There will be explanations for any newbs who don't know brew-speak)

12 lbs. fireweed honey
4 gallons of treetop brand apple juice (Preservative free is important)
DAP (Diammonium phosphate)
Fermaid k
lalvin ec-1118 yeast

sterilize everything that touches your brew, unless you're fond of wastage.

pour half of one bottle into the fermenter, add 1/4 of the honey, shake like hell. (this not only dissolves the honey but aerates to allow for healthy yeasties)
Repeat until all honey is dissolved and in the bucket.
Add 1 tsp of DAP and 1/2 Tsp of Fermaid k to the must (The stuff in the bucket is your must) then at 24 hrs add 1/2 tsp Dap and 1/4 tsp fermaid k, then at 72 hrs add 1/2 tsp Dap and 1/4 tsp fermaid k. (This staggered feeding is the best I could come up with, would be happy to have some more advice from an elder mazer)

rehydrate yeast according to directions on package
Should not need to campden this as the juice and honey are both sterile. always remember sanitation is key. make sure your yeasties and your must are at the same temerature when pitching so you don't shock them.

As I said considering spices for the secondary. likeing th idea of maybe using some lavender. very cool Idea.

that is as far as it's gotten. taking a gravity reading here in a minute. forgot to take an og though. I'm putting on more next month so I'll read it then

Old 03-02-2012, 07:06 AM   #70
MasterJeem
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I came across this thread and joined this group to show you guys the label that i put together today for a blackberry/blueberry mead that i just started this past weekend. Let me know what you think. I'm going to be doing a whole bunch of batches this year and i have lots of ideas for skyrim inspired labels. cheers to good mead and great gaming!

trying to upload, but site is sizing it down to 6.6kb. here's a link. hope it works!

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...ckandblue3.png

blackandblue3.jpg  

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS