Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Skyrim and Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #111
MarshmallowBlue
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by chshute View Post
So I had an idea... The Nord mead was supposed to have a cold mouthfeel or something like that due to being freeze distilled yada yada... I was thinking about using Polaris hops to get that feel. My question with the Polaris is when should i use it to get the most of that cold glacier sensation... Dry hop for a few days, end of the boil, etc... anyone work with Polaris before?
This is a very very late reply, but I have some new info. I made a honey ale with 3# of honey and it completely neutralized 2oz of hops. So whatever you use, use double what you think you need. I guess honey actually can cancel out the bittering acids released form hops so it doesn't work properly.

Lifetime goal: 7,777 gallons --- gallons made 54
My Home Brew Blog
My Home-brewing Pinterest < It's a beautiful thing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2013, 08:46 PM   #112
commonsenseman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshmallowBlue View Post
This is a very very late reply, but I have some new info. I made a honey ale with 3# of honey and it completely neutralized 2oz of hops. So whatever you use, use double what you think you need. I guess honey actually can cancel out the bittering acids released form hops so it doesn't work properly.
That explains A LOT. I've been trying to figure out why every Braggot I make is WAY less bitter than it should be, given the "IBU's". I guess the answer was staring me in the face the whole time.

"EC-1118 is a monster yeast. But it is also clean and quick. Like a humane serial killer."

1 Gal: Brandon O's-Graff
2 Gal: Big Ol' Barleywine
5 Gal: Graham's English Cider
5 Gal: Apfelwein

Old 08-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #113
chshute
Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshmallowBlue View Post

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 08-04-2014, 06:25 PM   #114
bouldvard418
Recipes 

I came across this recipe for Sweet/Blackberry Briar on the Rabbits Foot website and thought it would be of interest to the thread. The recipe apparently originates from Kenelm Digby, a Knight and Alchemist. Might be the thing everyone is looking for.

http://www.rabbitsfootmeadery.com/CA...e_to_mead.html

You might also check his cook book 'Closet of Kenelm Digby' at Project Gutenberg. There are a lot of Metheglin recipes, although I think I would omit ingredients such as 'Mouse ear'...

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/16441...-h/16441-h.htm

Old 08-04-2014, 06:32 PM   #115
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5086 Times on 4605 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldvard418 View Post
You might also check his cook book 'Closet of Kenelm Digby' at Project Gutenberg. There are a lot of Metheglin recipes, although I think I would omit ingredients such as 'Mouse ear'...
Chickweed aka "Mouse Ear", has a lot of herbal use.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:09 AM   #116
NZ-beekeeper
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyChurch View Post
I just wish I had a tankard to drink out of instead of a glass mug. I'm working on a recipe for a skyrim mead if anyone wants to join. Most likely with juniper berries since that is one of the first things you hear in the game.
Check this out: http://www.instructables.com/id/Viki...-tools-at-all/

I know it's a bit of an old post, but some ideas, like mead, get better with age!

I made one of these out of oak and it is a pure laugh to drink out of. Makes for a real talking point at parties etc. Gaining access to propolis is a whole lot easier if you're a beekeeper, like me!

GO FOR IT

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS