Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Skyrim and Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #111
MarshmallowBlue
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by chshute View Post
So I had an idea... The Nord mead was supposed to have a cold mouthfeel or something like that due to being freeze distilled yada yada... I was thinking about using Polaris hops to get that feel. My question with the Polaris is when should i use it to get the most of that cold glacier sensation... Dry hop for a few days, end of the boil, etc... anyone work with Polaris before?
This is a very very late reply, but I have some new info. I made a honey ale with 3# of honey and it completely neutralized 2oz of hops. So whatever you use, use double what you think you need. I guess honey actually can cancel out the bittering acids released form hops so it doesn't work properly.

Lifetime goal: 7,777 gallons --- gallons made 45
My Home Brew Blog
My Home-brewing Pinterest < It's a beautiful thing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #112
commonsenseman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshmallowBlue View Post
This is a very very late reply, but I have some new info. I made a honey ale with 3# of honey and it completely neutralized 2oz of hops. So whatever you use, use double what you think you need. I guess honey actually can cancel out the bittering acids released form hops so it doesn't work properly.
That explains A LOT. I've been trying to figure out why every Braggot I make is WAY less bitter than it should be, given the "IBU's". I guess the answer was staring me in the face the whole time.

"EC-1118 is a monster yeast. But it is also clean and quick. Like a humane serial killer."

1 Gal: Brandon O's-Graff
2 Gal: Big Ol' Barleywine
5 Gal: Graham's English Cider
5 Gal: Apfelwein

Old 08-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #113
chshute
Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshmallowBlue View Post

Thanks for the feedback!

Quick Reply