Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Skeeter Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2013, 03:50 AM   #31
Atek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Alrighty then, so I've racked and added 96oz lemon juice. I forgot to take a reading before the laziness kicked in again so my apologies. I did take a picture though, it had quite some time until it clears I fear but I'll do my best to keep you all updated. I do believe that this is gonna be awesome stuff.

image-1057647635.jpg  

"Gaurd your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and out live the bastards."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #32
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I have no pics but mine is starting to clear and looks awesome. Gravity is bone dry right now at .998. I will probably rack off the lees here this next week which will degass this a bit and let it further clear more quickly. I'll keep you all up to date.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 04-13-2013, 11:19 PM   #33
Atek
Recipes 

I racked again as I had quite a bit of sediment. S.G. Is right at 1. I tasted it and... Well it's not quite there yet, this is going to be better using an orange blossom honey, the clover is definitely identifiable and this young tastes a tad off with the lemon sour. Not bad mind you just could be better. This has not been back sweetened yet either so the lemon is mighty potent. Back sweetening and age will tell but if it ages like a mead this is gonna be hella good in 6 months, and amazing with more time.

"Gaurd your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and out live the bastards."

Old 04-13-2013, 11:25 PM   #34
Pratzie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

interesting. Im sure after 6-8 months it will kick ass

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 04-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #35
Atek
Recipes 

Hey Arpolis, any updates? Mine is clearing up nicely, not clear enough yet but definitely getting there.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #36
Arpolis
Recipes 

Not a whole lot. I have been super busy and have not done a thing with the mead........ So I got off my lazy ars and decided to rack this off the lees today. The mead is about 90% cleared at this point. I don't have the honey to back sweeten yet so will do that probably after next racking. I took a small taste and it was a little yeasty as expected. Nice and tart but not at the point where I was puckering but cheeks. And surprisingly very very smooth. Mead is normally horid at this age, hot with alcohol but my wife might actually drink this young without aging. The gravity looks to have settled at 0.992ish. I topped up with 50/50 real lemon juice and water. I actually racked twice, once into a spare 5 gallon water jug and then after cleaning back into my better bottle. All that stirring up should help this degass and drop out the rest of the yeast. About another month I bet and I can rack back sweeten.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 05-05-2013, 05:24 AM   #37
Atek
Recipes 

Agreed on the smoothness, it's very interesting. Maybe the tart just masks the normal young mead astringency? I racked mine again today, it is almost crystal clear now, I'm guessing just a slight dusting of sediment will still form. I have not back sweetened this yet. Can't decide if I want to stick with clover or go with something more floral like a tupelo.

image-2544308943.jpg  

Old 05-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #38
Arpolis
Recipes 

Mine is not that clear just yet. I may give it a second racking cause I have about 1/4" of lees on the bottom. I'll post a pic after racking.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:58 AM   #39
Atek
Recipes 

Back sweetened with 3.75 lbs honey today. Got surprisingly cloudy after that....

Old 05-30-2013, 01:33 AM   #40
Arpolis
Recipes 

Sorry that I have ben so lazy and not posting pics but ill make it up tonight. I gave the Skeeter mead a second racking today to get off the fine lees and I stabilized and backsweetened with 3.5lb of honey. There was just enough I could not fit into the carboy to fill up a glass. Below is a pic of that to show how clear it is before sweetening. The carboy is after sweetening. Another month or so and it should be ready for bottles.

skeeter-mead-better-bottle.jpg

skeeter-mead-jar.jpg

Man I can not get over how smooth this young melomel is. I spooned in a little honey into the jar and it was really good. Oh man I can not wait for bottling day.

Quick Reply