Old 03-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #21
Arpolis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHeaven View Post
Using straight loose tea is an interesting choice. Have you done it before? I find that if I steep tea too long the resulting flavor is somewhat harsh. The hot water may contribute to this but I'm not sure. I've only ever used brewed tea for added tannins but this sounds like it could get the job done in a serious way. How's that fermentation coming? Any airlock activity yet?
Last time I did a standard SP with normal ingredients I was out of grape tannin so used the 1 tbs black tea. For a 5 gallon batch it compliments well. My SP is crisp, refreshing with appropriate body. So I started doing this for all my mead an wine. No hot water just dump it in like dry hopping.

Airlock going like mad. I degassed and checked gravity yesterday at around 6PM and it was at 1.06. Should add additional lemon and nutrients tonite.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #22
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If the goal is honey flavored SP, why not ferment sugar, and then back sweeten with honey rather than the other way around? I'm currious how these all turn out.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #23
Arpolis
Recipes 

If you did that then it would be Skeeter Pee wine sweetened with honey, not Skeeter Mead. Mead is special where as wine is common. That is why we do it this way.

I can't wait to tast this side by side with my normal SP.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Atek Likes This 
Old 03-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #24
ACbrewer
Recipes 

I guess the question is would the results be different? and which woudl be better? Lemon flavored mead, or Honey sweetend Skeeter pee.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:04 AM   #25
Arpolis
Recipes 

Feal free to join in and make yourself a batch of SP and back sweeten with honey. SP is one of the cheapest/best wines I have ever made. You just need an open carboy.

Atek you have been quiet. How is your mead doing? Anything exciting or do you just have a picture perfect ferment going?

Old 03-09-2013, 01:34 AM   #26
Atek
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpolis View Post
Feal free to join in and make yourself a batch of SP and back sweeten with honey. SP is one of the cheapest/best wines I have ever made. You just need an open carboy.

Atek you have been quiet. How is your mead doing? Anything exciting or do you just have a picture perfect ferment going?
I have pretty close to a picture perfect ferment going lol, though I reckon (yes... I did just use that word) that's because I'm not adding my lemon until after ferment has finished.

I am so glad I kept two bottles of skeeter pee on hand to compare with, its been a real struggle to keep from imbibing those...

One thing that caught me with the honey back sweetened skeeter pee is that you could change the varietal honey to impart its characters and maintain a much lower cost than it would take to use that honey for the entire batch. I believe the honey would be more noticeable in standard skeeter pee than it would in a mead fermented with a different kind of honey. For example a batch of mead with 10lbs or so of one varietal is going to overpower the 3 pounds of fancy varietal used for back sweetening (not that it wouldn't still be tasty). Where fermenting on sugar then back sweetening with 3 pounds fancy honey would likely be more noticeable. Just a thought... As a side note to this I have two batches of mead going where I intend to test this, both were fermented on clover honey. One is just a standard mead that I am thinking of oaking, either way I plan to use acacia honey (also known as black locust honey) which is THE best honey I have ever had, which it'd better be for $20 for 1.3 lbs. The other is blackberry mead that I will be sweetening with tupelo.

As a full update I forgot to add my tannins at the start of ferment and added 3/4 tsp tannin powder today. Otherwise the ferment is still trucking, probably another week or two left.

"Gaurd your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and out live the bastards."

Arpolis Likes This 
Old 03-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #27
Atek
Recipes 

Ok another update here, looks like the ferment is pretty much done. I'll be doing a gentle degass this evening or tomorrow and taking a gravity reading to be sure. If low enough I will add the lemon juice all in one go and sulfite. I'll then let it clear and sorbate at that time along with back sweetening.

"Gaurd your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and out live the bastards."

Arpolis Likes This 
Old 03-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #28
HopHeaven
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atek
Ok another update here, looks like the ferment is pretty much done. I'll be doing a gentle degass this evening or tomorrow and taking a gravity reading to be sure. If low enough I will add the lemon juice all in one go and sulfite. I'll then let it clear and sorbate at that time along with back sweetening.
As a mead, do you think this will be drinkable right away? I imagine with the back sweetening it should be

Secondary: Skeeter Pee, Cyser, Tree Sap Cider,

Drinking: Milk Mead, Apfelwein, Grape Mead, Cranberry Pomegranate Cider, Cherry Berry Cider

Future: Strawberry/ Raspberry Cider , Apple Ginger Cider

Old 03-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #29
ACbrewer
Recipes 

Depending on your lemon juice it will already have sulfate and sorbate in it... Real Lemon lemon juice only has sulfate in it.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:47 AM   #30
Atek
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHeaven View Post
As a mead, do you think this will be drinkable right away? I imagine with the back sweetening it should be
Hop, I do not believe that will be the case no, however it is low ABV mead that is back sweetened and my opinion of drinkable may differ from yours. I do believe aging will bring this to a level if deliciousness that is legendary.... Another thing I have been thinking about is barrel fermenting this, perhaps impart that typical buttery chardonnay flavor, not sure though.

Quote:
ACbrewer Depending on your lemon juice it will already have sulfate and sorbate in it... Real Lemon lemon juice only has sulfate in it.
My lemon does only have lemon juice, I have yet to take that reading and add the lemon but I promise I will get to it really soon, the yeast are starting to settle out and you can see it beginning to clear. I will not be adding sulfites until I'm ready to back sweeten at which point I'm sure I will have racked at least twice and I will then sulfite again as well. I figure the original recipe calls for stabilization on top of the sorbates already present in the lemon juice. I'll keep you all informed, expect gravity readings and images soon.

Quick Reply