New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Skeeter Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
Atek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Default Skeeter Mead

I started this thread due to some discussions on the skeeter pee thread. I will be doing some testing of implementing and mead variation of the skeeter pee lemon wine. There seemed to be some interest in this so anyone else currently making a skeeter mead or planning to please don't e shy :-)

"Gaurd your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and out live the bastards."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Can you post a recipe for the variation?

Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Atek and I were talking about this in the skeeter pee thread and I have wanted to do it since I have bottled my last Skeeter Pee. First I need to start geting my braggot, ginger mead, green apple mead & sake to bottles before I start this but here is my plan.

In the original recipe you need to start this with a yeast slurry rather than making a simple starter or pitching fresh yeast because it is hard to ferment right & with the substitution of honey for sugar the PH will be lower than the original SP recipe so this is even more important.

I will make a starter wine and allow it to clear over 1 - 2 months to get a nice yeast cake to siphon off of. Here is the wine I will throw together:

1 gallon white grape peach

4 cans of Welch's White grape peach concentrate.
1 TBS black tea
1 tsp DAP
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
Water to a gallon
Yeast: Lalvin 71b

When I have the wine racked off of the yeast in that I will start the Skeeter Pee. I converted the sugar amount to honey using the GotMead.com calculator. I also do the recipe a little different and don't use grape tannin. Rather I use Black tea so here is the recipe for the SP:

3 bottles of 32 oz 100% lemon juice (e.g ReaLemon in the green plastic bottles or equivalent)
8.75 lbs honey
1 tbs black tea
6 tsp. yeast nutrient (3 now, 3 later)
2 tsp. yeast energizer (1 now, 1 later)
Approx, 4 1/2 gallons water
Yeast Slurry
Potassium metabisulfite (Camden Tablets)
Potassium sorbate (sorbate)
2 1/3 lbs sugar (or 6 cups) to sweeten finished Skeeter Pee. Use more or less for your tastes.

Directions for putting this together is at http://www.skeeterpee.com

This should yield an OG of around 1.07 & be at around 10% ABV when done. Here within the month I will probably start this.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 01-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
Atek
Recipes 

Ok, I am just waiting for the time to do this. I will be deviating from the traditional method so I'm pretty excited to see how our two results differ. My plan goes as follows:

I will make a traditional mead -
9lbs honey (easier to measure out than the calculated sugar equivalent of 8.75lbs)
3/4 tsp tannin
3 tsp nutrient
water to 5 gal
ec-1118
OG 1.064 = 8.72% ABV

After fermentation I will add the 96oz lemon juice and stabilize. I will let this sit until clear, or for 2-3 weeks then use a fining agent. Once clear I will rack and back sweeten with 3.5lbs honey.

"Gaurd your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and out live the bastards."

Old 01-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
Arpolis
Recipes 

Ha when I copied and pasted the recipe from the SP web sight I forgot to change that I will back sweeten with honey. So I will use 3.5 lb of honey just like Atek.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 02-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
Arpolis
Recipes 

Ok I have started this project off. I am getting my Starter wine ready so I can rack off the yeast slurry to use in the skeeter mead.The recipe I used is as follows:

4 cans of Welch's White grape peach concentrate.
1 TBS black tea (Stash brand Earl Grey)
1 tsp DAP
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
Water to a gallon
Yeast: Lalvin 71b

I mixed it all together lack the pectic enzyme and added a crushed camden tablet. 14 hours later I added the pectic enzyme. 12 hours after that I took a gravity reading, removed about a half cup of must to add head space in case the yeast get too active and blow out the airlock. I will add that half cup back after 2 - 3 days when it calms down. Sprinkled 5g of the 71b yeast right on top without stiring. Left alone for 15 min and then placed airlock.

Gravity ended up at 1.08
Potential ABV of finished product is 11% ABV

I will let this go for 30 days or untill fermentation stops. Throw it in the fridge and allow yeast to settle over a period of a week. Rack and then use slurry for skeeter mead.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:25 AM   #7
Atek
Recipes 

Sweet! I'd better get started soon myself!

Old 02-05-2013, 12:10 PM   #8
Arpolis
Recipes 

Hey even if you start a month out you are ahead of me. I am just preparing the yeast right now. You will have a pack of 1118 yeast that will start off fast with only 15 minutes to rehydrate it. My method will take 5-6 weeks before I can pitch the yeast lol.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #9
Atek
Recipes 

Haha that's true!

Old 02-21-2013, 10:59 PM   #10
Arpolis
Recipes 

The White grape peach wine has been in the fridge over the last several days and is super super clear with about an inch of lees. This recipe really put out a healthy yeast colony so I am thinking it will work out well. The wine smells awesome too so can't wait to taste it. Next Friday the 1st is pay day so I will get the Lemon juice and Honey then and start this next weekend.

Quick Reply