The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Simplest possible (crude) metheglin recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #11
Wraithraider
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Last edited by Wraithraider; 06-21-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #12
billyda59
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithraider View Post
Right, you bring up an excellent point. That being said, I had another question and an interesting development in my mead project.

I opened up my mead yesterday just to take a small sample for funsies. It's still very sweet (duh) and also... it's carbonated like soda. I know the airlock I have on there is working properly, so all the CO2 should be escaping with very little trouble and there is absolutely no internal pressure in my fermentation vessel. Maybe the thickness and weight of my must is 'holding' the CO2 down into the mix? Or is this a result of fermenting 'too quickly'?

Its not really a problem, I just thought it was rather curious. My honey soda was actually pretty tasty.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #13
tauschung
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

@billyda59: you need to aerate your must during the first 1/3 of fermentation. I don't know what kind of vessel you have your must in, but you can either stir it with a spoon or rock it back and forth to get all the CO2 out.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:53 PM   #14
Wraithraider
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Odd. My post never went through. My question was the impact of using raisins on flavor and mouthfeel in a mead. I've never used them as I have a surplus of the other nutrient additives.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #15
billyda59
Recipes 

Ah, so it looks like I haven't been stirring as much as I should have. Whoops...

Glad you re-posted to get your question out. I too am curious if anyone can describe the exact difference in mead made with and without raisins.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:11 AM   #16
billyda59
Recipes 

Okay, well my mead has been ready for awhile and I've been enjoying it quite a bit since it finished. I figure I should share the results.

Just a quick recap: my recipe was as simple as 14 lbs of cheap honey in a 5 gallon bucket and then I filled the bucket up to somewhere around 4.5 gallons with water. I threw in 5 teaspoons of Fermax yeast nutrient and stirred it in. I properly started 1 packet of Lalvin by following it's instructions and added it into the bucket while the honey water was still nice and warm. About 3 weeks later I was enjoying my product.

I did not shake it for the first 2 weeks and I did not stagger the nutrients as I was instructed to do. Sorry, but I was actually pretty far away from the mixture during those first weeks. I should've had a friend mix it around and feed it. When I got back it was still bubbling pretty furiously. So the fermentation went a bit slower than it would have normally I suppose, no doubt due to my negligence. For the next week I made sure to give it a nice shake and stir about twice a day. The mead appeared to stop fermenting after that third week but still had a little bit of CO2, like soda.

As far as the taste goes, its really sweet and really strongly alcoholic. Of course, it is estimated to be 18% ABV because of the predictability of the 1116 strain and because I never did find my hydrometer. I wish I was able to describe the taste a better, but I'm far from a wine connoisseur. I suppose my mead recipe is much like myself: simple and crude.

Well, to wrap it all up, I just want to thank everybody who posted here. If I hadn't found this site and gotten so much great advice and guidance, I probably would've given up the project before even getting all the materials. Thank you!

Old 08-03-2012, 08:29 AM   #17
Insomniac
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I wouldnt assume 18, I made a batch with 1116 that I planned to finish at 18 with dont sweetness left, and even with basic staggering etc it only ever made it to 16. The stong alchol flavour will eventually fade, even if it is drinkable now I would age it for as long as you can stand!

Quick Reply