Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Show us your Mead in a photo!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 12:27 PM   #491
GDP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outkikked View Post
Here are a couple of meads I started around Halloween (although not Halloween inspired). Nuted them today and I decided to take a picture for you guys. Descriptions for the more interested below.

Happy Holidays!

Starting from the left (percentages are current, not target):

Blueberry Pancake. 14.7% and still going. EC-1118. 12 lbs. Snowberry Honey. 3 lbs. Clover. I'm intending this to be a sack mead, adding a second addition of 2 lbs of blueberries once the yeast reach their peak (so they peter out with the sugars from the berries, while the alcohol essentially extracts the remaining blueberry essence from the blueberry puree) then backsweetening with Grade B maple syrup to 1.03. There is already 20 oz. of Anderson's Grade B maple syrup fermenting away inside. Delicious.

Raspberry Melomade. EC-1118. 13.3%. 8 lbs. Clover Honey. 3 cans Minute Maid lemonade concentrate, 16 oz. of raspberries in secondary. Fermentation has been slow due to the acidity of the lemonade, but she's still going. I will add 16 more oz of raspberries at the end of fermentation in the same fashion as the blueberry above, getting more of an extract than any further fermentation.

Mapfelwien. 71B-1122. 10.7%. 64 oz. Simply Apple Juice. 1.8 lbs. Snowberry Honey. 12 oz. Anderson's Grade B Maple Syrup. Experimental batch. For me, the jury is still out on my care for cysers, although I really would like to enjoy them. I'll probably bottle 2 bottles from the batch, then use the rest to top off the blueberry pancake before it's bottling to bring a hint of apple to the party.
Holy crap you buy the same honey as me lol. How do you like their snowberry? I have had their wildflower and clover and both are pretty good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #492
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDP View Post
Holy crap you buy the same honey as me lol. How do you like their snowberry? I have had their wildflower and clover and both are pretty good.
I buy mine in 5 gallon buckets at a time (that's 60# of honey)... Typically great per pound pricing that way.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
Photobond Likes This 
Old 11-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #493
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post

I buy mine in 5 gallon buckets at a time (that's 60# of honey)... Typically great per pound pricing that way.
Where do you find 5 gallon honey. The only semi affordable honey I seem to be able to find around here is the Costco 6# jugs of Sonora desert honey

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #494
Outkikked
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDP View Post
I absolutely adore their snowberry. In tasting it all throughout ferment, it tends to keep it's buttery flavor, even as it gets drier. I think it would be absolutely stunning in a honey soda, but that's another project for another forum.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #495
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofgrok View Post
Where do you find 5 gallon honey. The only semi affordable honey I seem to be able to find around here is the Costco 6# jugs of Sonora desert honey
Current bucket was bought at the LHBS I used to visit (in Marlboro, MA). Broke down to $2.75/#. That was from a more local apiary, and it's a bucket of wildflower honey. Damned fine tasting too.

I might be able to score some honey from a guy with bees (in MA) for my next purchase.

Personally, I won't use cheap honey in my traditional meads. I want great honey as the base, and have it come through in the glass. If I'm making something that will have a lot of flavor additions, that's different. But, where the honey will come through, quality is important (for me at least).

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-30-2012, 11:42 PM   #496
Croft
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've just finished my first 'rack' of my first mead and I know I have to put it away so it can be as undisturbed as possible, but currently it is glowing a rich gold on the window sill. I keep admiring it, much to my husbands amusement!

Old 12-02-2012, 02:06 AM   #497
Billy-Klubb
Capt. Floccin' Awesome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2331 Times on 1531 Posts
Likes Given: 4698

posted in "what are you drinking". but... my metheglin. coriander, sweet orange peel, vanilla bean, and seeds of paradise. OG 1.108 FG 1.012

1201122047.jpg  

There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing...

Old 12-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #498
toxicsky
Recipes 

Apple cinnamon spice!

image-4069278371.jpg  

Old 12-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #499
Speratus
Recipes 

My first Batch of Mead

Orange Craisin Mead

Jan 14, 2012
3lbs Wildflower honey
EC1118 - 6 Mandarin oranges
20 craisins
Racked 24th Feb w/ 1/2 teaspoon Nutrient
Bottled August 5th 2012

Simply Delicious

image-1968188218.jpg  

Spera in Deo

Old 12-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #500
odinsgift
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 88 Posts

Sample of Thor-Mjød. Made with Hawthorn, enebær, birch bark, and a toasted slice of white oak. Still a bit hot, but not as hot as six months ago, still a strong, strangely tropical fruit aroma.

Quick Reply