The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Show us your Mead in a photo!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012, 11:38 PM   #411
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Great label webfoot!

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 11:42 PM   #412
webfoot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The label is the names of the people who worked on it in Anglo-Saxon runes.

Every penny I earn brings Me one step closer to My goal of world domination.

http://www.oregonmicrofarm.com/

Old 10-27-2012, 01:51 AM   #413
VzRyder55
Recipes 

This is my very first try at mead and its still very young at 33 days old. I actually just posted a thread that I'd like a critique of it!!

image-2658839915.jpg  

Old 10-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #414
Dendion
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just racked to secondary, two plain mead (if you will), two cinnamon, and two mixed berry, gallons. This is my first mead batch I've made. So far so good...

image-3863266066.jpg  

Old 10-28-2012, 12:14 AM   #415
shelly_belly
Easy Wind
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendion View Post
Just racked to secondary, two plain mead (if you will), two cinnamon, and two mixed berry, gallons. This is my first mead batch I've made. So far so good...
Looking good! Welcome to HBT.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:45 AM   #416
Dendion
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly_belly

Looking good! Welcome to HBT.
Thanks, started another batch right after this one, a cinnamon apple, cinnamon, Pom, and a wolf moon, recipe from the forum.. Those are looking good as well,

Old 10-28-2012, 01:16 AM   #417
bconstant
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Here's the family.

Starting from the left:

Orange Blossom Mead, started Feb 19, fully clarified, oaking, ready to age.
Blueberry Clover Mead, started Oct 15
Mulled Tupelo Mead, started Oct 15, nutmeg, ginger, and clover
Wildflower Mead, started Oct 15
4 varieties of Goldenrod Mead, started 28 Feb

And yes I know the ones on the right have too much headspace - I had glass marbles to fill it up but I wasn't good at racking back then and I just kept losing more and more product. So I'm just going to tough it out and bottle these soon anyway so hopefully I won't do too much damage. I'm afraid of watering them down.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:07 AM   #418
nitack
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bconstant

Here's the family.

Starting from the left:

Orange Blossom Mead, started Feb 19, fully clarified, oaking, ready to age.
Blueberry Clover Mead, started Oct 15
Mulled Tupelo Mead, started Oct 15, nutmeg, ginger, and clover
Wildflower Mead, started Oct 15
4 varieties of Goldenrod Mead, started 28 Feb

And yes I know the ones on the right have too much headspace - I had glass marbles to fill it up but I wasn't good at racking back then and I just kept losing more and more product. So I'm just going to tough it out and bottle these soon anyway so hopefully I won't do too much damage. I'm afraid of watering them down.
There seem to be all sorts of myths floating around here about head space that I'd love to clear up. If your mead is doing even a small amount of fermenting, which I assume so since you have air locks on them, then they will not oxidize as long as you are not shaking them or moving them often. In a closed system like that there is no turbulence and the gasses will settle out based on molecular weight. You remember in chemistry class when your teacher layered multiple liquids to show you how density works in non soluble liquids? Well it is a bit like that. So for the purposes of this discussion we are only interested in two specific gasses carbon dioxide CO2 and oxygen O2. O2 has a molecular weight of 32, each oxygen molecule has an atomic weight of ~16, times 2 atoms per molecule. Now the CO2 has a molecular weight of 44, 32 for the two oxygens and 12 for the carbon. In a closed system (your carboy with an airlock) the heavier CO2 sits on the surface, protecting your mead from the O2. Now this only works if there is (or was) fermentation still going on to some degree since you last put the airlock on, and you are not disturbing the container often. Hope that helps.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:06 AM   #419
bconstant
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitack View Post
There seem to be all sorts of myths floating around here about head space that I'd love to clear up. If your mead is doing even a small amount of fermenting, which I assume so since you have air locks on them, then they will not oxidize as long as you are not shaking them or moving them often. In a closed system like that there is no turbulence and the gasses will settle out based on molecular weight. You remember in chemistry class when your teacher layered multiple liquids to show you how density works in non soluble liquids? Well it is a bit like that. So for the purposes of this discussion we are only interested in two specific gasses carbon dioxide CO2 and oxygen O2. O2 has a molecular weight of 32, each oxygen molecule has an atomic weight of ~16, times 2 atoms per molecule. Now the CO2 has a molecular weight of 44, 32 for the two oxygens and 12 for the carbon. In a closed system (your carboy with an airlock) the heavier CO2 sits on the surface, protecting your mead from the O2. Now this only works if there is (or was) fermentation still going on to some degree since you last put the airlock on, and you are not disturbing the container often. Hope that helps.
In this case, it doesn't matter because I can't help myself from trying these every now and again, and the fermentation is most certainly over. But your advice is well-taken, thanks for pointing that out. I'll remember it.

In addition - I keep reading that it's a good idea to keep the airlocks on because reasons. If I know for certain that these are finished with fermentation, should I just close them up completely? I guess continuing to use airlocks is good for safety's sake?

The one on the left is going into a dark wine cellar to bulk age for a year or so. I had planned on checking the lock every month to make sure it's still good. Should I just cork it instead?

Old 10-28-2012, 10:38 AM   #420
nitack
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bconstant

In this case, it doesn't matter because I can't help myself from trying these every now and again, and the fermentation is most certainly over. But your advice is well-taken, thanks for pointing that out. I'll remember it.
In that case what I said is null and void. Only applies if fermentation was still active to some degree the last time you sealed it. That is the only way there would be enough carbon dioxide to buffer your mead.

Quick Reply