Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Show mead with TJ's Mesquite honey

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2010, 06:30 PM   #11
phished880
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Today I racked this and the SG was 1.006 that gives me a approx ABV of 14.6%.
Do you think it is fair to assume that the yeast has hit its limit? Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2010, 04:41 PM   #12
wayneb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

How long has it been at 1.006? Generally I consider a fermentation with residual sweetness like that, done only when the gravity is steady over several weeks. Some yeasts can continue to chug slowly on seemingly regardless of the ABV, if conditions are right.

Also, although the yeast may have reached their ethanol tolerance in your batch and they may have stopped fermenting as of now, any change to the environment (including simply racking over to an aging carboy) can start them up again. It is best to rack off of the 71B lees into another carboy, and then let the mead bulk-age and continue to clear for a while longer, before declaring things definitely done. Even then, if you want to bottle this one with residual sweetness, you should consider chemically stabilizing it with metabisulfite and potassium sorbate. Bottling any sweet to semi-sweet mead, even one that appears to have been done fermenting months earlier, without stabilization can risk bottle bombs if the yeast wake back up.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #13
phished880
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Wayne,
I'm unsure how long its been at .006. I'm not worried if its done i was more curious. After transferring i noticed it seems like fermentation has begun with out airlock activity. Please look at the link and let me know if this could be an infection.
Thanks J
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/...p?ppuser=36319

Old 04-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #14
wayneb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

That looks like yeast residue, which often forms at the top of my traditional batches after I've done the first racking. If it doesn't grow, doesn't smell bad, and doesn't begin to form descending tendril-like things into the bulk of your mead, then it is harmless.

But do plan on racking again shortly after you see more signs of clearing. You don't want to leave any mead on 71B lees too long, or you might get some off-flavors from autolysis of that yeast.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #15
phished880
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Sweet, thanks for the help

Old 04-25-2010, 12:22 AM   #16
phished880
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

*UPDATE* Here is a pic of the Hydro sample from Thurs. night. Talk about needing some time...... IT WAS HOT!
Otherwise, I was very pleased with the nose and clarity. I think my friends to be wed will love this as a gift, good thing I have 18months.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/...9&limit=recent

Quick Reply