Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Should I use campden tablets?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2008, 11:37 PM   #1
Brandon O
Knapsnatchio
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 10 Posts

Default Should I use campden tablets?

Forgot to use some in the 3 gallons of mead I made.
had 4 pounds of fresh strawberries I cut up and rinsed a few times with Iodopher. Been fermenting for 18 hrs now, but I don't know if it will do more harm than good to add the tablets now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2008, 12:48 AM   #2
GinKings
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

I think the camden tablets would do more harm than good at this point. They can't differentiate between wild yeast and the yeast you pitched.

I've never heard of rinsing fruit in Iodophor (not that that means anything). Wouldn't it be better to rinse the fruit before you cut it up? I would think that the wild things would be on the skin and a whole fruit is less apt to absorb the Iodophor.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:41 AM   #3
bluespook
Recipes 

Iodophor is a sterilizing agent...for equipment, such as carboys, spoons, and the like. I've never read or heard of using it on fruit, though I don't think it's poison. My advice, for what it's worth, is DON'T DO THAT AGAIN. It doesn't require rinsing when used, so, as I said, I doubt it's poisonous. Yuck!

Blue

It is what it is...a stress-relieving philosophy for a long life!

Old 08-05-2008, 04:35 AM   #4
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluespook View Post
DON'T DO THAT AGAIN.
+1
Part of the reason I add fruit at Secondary is because I feel better hitting the fruit with 8 or 10 or 12 or more % Alcohol to kill any germs. Mostly, I think that as long as you use a good quality CLEAN fruit, you'll be ok like 99% of the time, and if you do think that you need to sanitize the fruit...Use GENTLE heat not chemicals.

But the good thing is, it will be ok....Probably....and you can use Campdon tabs when you rack to help prevent oxidation.

Post some Pictures....Geesh!

Old 08-06-2008, 07:53 PM   #5
Bombo80

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I haven't used fruit in a mead, yet, but in my fruit beer, I bring the wort temp down to 180*, then pitch the fruit in, and let it sit for 20 minutes. That way the pectin doesn't make an issue with your brew. You could probably do the same thing, just with water, but you'd have to make some calculations on how much water to use. I would think by adding just the fruit, you'd lose alot of flavor. If you added the water too, you'd have to be careflu on your batch size, or it could get too big for your carboy. Just my opinion here.

On Deck - Crabapple Wine

Secondary - Pomegranate Wine, Red Table Wine, Wild Fox Grape Wine, Blueberry Wine, Surly Furious clone

Bulk Aging - Brewtopia Barleywine, Sugar Beet Wine

Old 08-07-2008, 01:43 PM   #6
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I'm not a fan of heating fruit for a mead of wine. Just rinse the fruit well with clean water. If you are concerned about wild yeast or bacteria then sulphite the must and wait 24 hours before pitching the yeast.

Even if you don't sulphite there is still probably no problem. Your pitched yeast has a big headstart on the wild yeast and the strains used in wine are very aggressive. Plus the wild yeasts are not necessarily bad fermenters.

Craig

Old 08-07-2008, 06:20 PM   #7
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 26

If you heat fruit, you may be setting yourself up for pectin hazes - or worse still, a "cooked" flavour! (apples being a good example of that).

I like the idea suggested by the B'K' about chucking the fruit in at secondary though, but it's got me wondering about possible induced bitterness from any stones/pips/seeds etc ??? or is it better to add it as a pulp i.e. freeze it, then mush/crush and strain it, then add the liquor to the secondary ???

As for campden tablets, it the recipe requires them then add them when suggested. If not, wait until the ferment has finished as they stun the yeast and can cause stuck ferments - as I understand it!

regards

fatbloke

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 08-07-2008, 06:24 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
If you heat fruit, you may be setting yourself up for pectin hazes - or worse still, a "cooked" flavour! (apples being a good example of that).

I like the idea suggested by the B'K' about chucking the fruit in at secondary though, but it's got me wondering about possible induced bitterness from any stones/pips/seeds etc ??? or is it better to add it as a pulp i.e. freeze it, then mush/crush and strain it, then add the liquor to the secondary ???

As for campden tablets, it the recipe requires them then add them when suggested. If not, wait until the ferment has finished as they stun the yeast and can cause stuck ferments - as I understand it!

regards

fatbloke
I never heat fruit, due to the pectin ("jelly factor") but I use campden all the time. Many recipes don't say to add campden, because it's a routine addition and assumed that it will be done when mixing fruit and with racking. Some winemakers want to always keep the must at 50ppm, and if it is kept there, there will be no stunned yeasts and no stuck fermentations. Most wine yeasts are minimally susceptible to campden/sulfites anyway.

I usually freeze my fruit before using, because it helps to break down the fruit easier. I use a sanitized mesh bag, so I can remove the fruit after I'm finished with it, and contain the skins/stones/seeds/pulp.
RobbieBoy Likes This 
Old 08-07-2008, 07:54 PM   #9
Brandon O
Knapsnatchio

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 10 Posts

Okay, I'm posting some pics tonight of the mead and the other stuff I got in the fermenter.
The mead really looks beautiful.
Its day 3 or so of fermentation. After 24 hours I added some nutrient and energizer according to the volume of the mead I am making.
Would you guys reccomend adding more nutrient and energizer and rousing it a bit again? or should I just leave it alone.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:01 PM   #10
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Leave it alone....after you take the pictures that is.

Quick Reply