Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Secondary question about mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2011, 03:14 AM   #1
beandroid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Secondary question about mead

I fermented my mead for a month and transferred it to a secondary today, to top it up I added about a gallon of spring water and honey. Should I just bottle it or do I need to transfer it again due to the secondary fermentation that will occur? How long should I keep it in the secondary?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2011, 07:17 AM   #2
GMA
Recipes 

Typically you let it sit for a few months. You probably have a lot of clarification left to go, and bulk aging will do wonders for your mead.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
Matrix4b
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

Let sit 2 months, then rack to secondary to clear up to nearly the level you can read print through it. It should clear on it's own. Then at that level either rack again to bulk age for 6 months to a year or bottle age it and let it sit for a year. Also, you may wish to oak it. Just 1 oz of cubes or chips. Cubes take longer but are easier to control, chips are quicker and you need to watch it. Tippacally I like 1 oz of oak chips, lightly toasted for 1 month in it while it settles, then bottle after clear.

Matrix

Quick Reply