Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Savory mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
SouthernGorilla
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default Savory mead

My wife and I have a ton of ideas for mead recipes we want to try. But she has an urge to try something we can't find a recipe for or devise one ourselves. Does anybody have a good recipe for a savory mead? I'm guessing it would have to be a metheglin. But I'm wondering about adding some peppers or something to give it a richer flavor. I've searched the recipe section here and didn't see anything.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013, 02:09 AM   #2
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Well here ate the results of a quick google search that gave me some inspiration:

Quote:
sa·vor·y
/ˈsāv(ə)rē/
Noun
An aromatic plant (genus Satureja) of the mint family, used as a culinary herb, esp. the annual summer savory (S. hortensis) and the winter savory.
Quote:
Main Entry: summer savory
Function: noun
Date: circa 1573
: an aromatic annual European mint (Satureja hortensis) with leaves used for seasoning ; also : its leaves — compare winter savory
So a mint metheglin may be fun to make. I have done a few metheglins and used fresh mint before. Mint seems to be a hard fragrant and taste to hold through primary. So adding mint is probably best added in secondary. Here is how I might do this:

Start by making a mint extract.

1 cup fresh mint leaves added to a standard canning jar. Fill jar half way with vodka. Shake it till you don't want to any more and then place in the fridge. For the next week do this daily then leave it sit in the fridge till you need it.

Start 1 gallon of mead

3 lb of honey (adjust to reach gravity of about 1.100.)
1tbs of your favorite herbal tea (celestial seasonings has a lot to choose from. I like raspberry zinger or possibly the sleepy time teas would do well)
Water to 1 gallon
1tsp yeast nutrient
1/2tsp yeast energizer
Yeast (any wine yeast of choice but I like lalvin 71b for most meads)

Let the primary go for 2-3 weeks and once at a gravity of 1.000 then place the jar/jug in the fridge and let sit 1-2 weeks to further clear. Then rack off the lees and in secondary add in your mint extract. Probably straining the leaves out. The leaves can be added to a jelly bag and added to secondary. Let that sit for another month. Rack off any more sediment. Allow to bulk age as long as you can stand it or bottle and age from there. Should be a refreshing minty mead but may take a long while to age and mellow out.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 05-05-2013, 03:50 AM   #3
SouthernGorilla
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

We're already planning a couple recipes with mint. But that isn't the variation of "savory" I was using. More like "hearty". Like the main course of a meal might be described as "savory". I honestly didn't know savory was a spice. I've always just heard it used as an adjective to describe a dish.

What my wife is looking for is a mead that might use regular cooking herbs like thyme and basil. I guess it could sorta be a variation of a capsicumel. One without the heat. Or maybe a very weak barbecue sauce?

Old 05-05-2013, 04:20 AM   #4
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 25

"Savory" to me always implies some degree of saltiness, or perhaps even the nebulous 'unami,' neither of which I would think be well translated in a mead. You mentioned basil, and I have heard of basil metheglins, and interestingly, have had a honey basil ale from Bison Brewing that was quite good. Perhaps a semi-sweet basil metheglin? The other thing I thought of when you described your concept of savory was perhaps something that was somewhat hearty, and perhaps had some body. You could consider making something in the way of a braggot, using basil...Using some steeped crystal malts would give you some unfermentable sugars that would contribute to some body and some of the residual sweetness...

Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Heady Topper Clone! Wild Cider?, Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 05-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
SouthernGorilla
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A braggot is an excellent idea. That would definitely have more body to it. I'd have to find malted buckwheat though. Grain-based foods no longer agree with me.

And maybe push a bochet to the limits where it's supposed to get a smokey flavor to it. Possibly do 1/3 malt, 1/3 burnt honey, and 1/3 raw or lightly reduced honey.

I guess basil is as good a spice as any. I honestly have no idea what most of the various spices taste like. It just struck me though that I should look into glaze recipes. I know honey is used as the base for a lot of glazes for chicken, ham, and other meats. Maybe a glaze recipe could be turned into a mead.

I have no idea how this might turn out. It's definitely a strange idea. The nice thing about mead is that it's open to such strangeness.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:00 AM   #6
Vangor
Recipes 

Thinking a Metheglin with Cumin might make a savory style flavor desired. Cumin always reminds me of chicken bouillon but sweeter, which may combine better with mead. Perhaps get some cedar to add? Always has a nice influence on grilling flavor.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:23 AM   #7
SouthernGorilla
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Interesting that you should mention cedar. I have an assortment of grilling woods headed my way. I plan to test them to see what sort of flavors the different woods impart to alcohol over time. Cedar isn't one of them. But hickory and mesquite may prove interesting in relation to this idea.

I have half an urge to step into the kitchen and start mixing spices with honey to see what happens.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:57 AM   #8
Bluespark
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

Coriander or chillies would be great.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:09 AM   #9
SouthernGorilla
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I like the flavor of jalapenos. I'd have to be careful to de-heat them. I don't think she's looking for a hot mead, just a "meaty" one.

Our herb cupboard is bare. We plan to stop at the market tomorrow and pick up some of the candidates mentioned here. The idea is to toss samples in a honey/water/vodka mix to see how they react to sweet alcohol.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
PaddyMurphy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 42

There's someone somewhere on the forums here who made a pine mead. Turned out to have an "earthy" flavor. Might that be something in line with what you're looking for?

Ridding the world of the scourge of alcohol. One glass at a time
Primary - Cranberry wine, Pomegranate Raspberry wine
Secondary - Nothing to see here. Move along.
Bottled - EdWort's Apfelwein, Cyser, Paddy Murphy's Pumpkin Mead, Côte des Bochet, EC-1118 Bochet, MAOM, Mango Melomel, Singles Awareness Day (SAD) Strawberry Melomel

Quick Reply