Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > ruined batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
zadig39
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default ruined batch

I had a batch of cyser referment after being bottled. I back sweetened after campden and sorbate with juice. What happened? All corks pushed out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
MedsenFey
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

It sounds like it started fermenting again. If you provide the full details of the recipe including yeast strain, gravity, and so forth, you may get better answers.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

more info needed, yes.

but also we need timelines. cool fermentation temps in the winter leaves CO2 in the mead. corking (especially synthetic corks) a lightly CO2 infused mead can pop the corks back out, especially as the temperature warms up.

you don't hear about degassing mead much since the 'normal thing to do' is a long secondary which gasses off the CO2. but if you get a pretty fast and clear primary, you can get carb'd mead in the bottles still.

Its not 'ruined' unless it tastes noxious!

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 04-16-2010, 08:31 PM   #4
MedsenFey
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

One more thing - if any bottles still have the cork in them, please handle them with care and place them in a cold refrigerator to reduce the chance of a bottle explosion. If you don't have a cold place for them, cover them in a 5-gallon bucket or some other container that will not be harmed by flying glass.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:12 AM   #5
zadig39
Recipes 

The recipe was the autum spiced cyser from the "complete mead maker". I think I used red star champagne yeast if I remember right and I did add juice after stabilizing. Malkore may be right about degassing, the conditions were as he stated. There was some sediment in the bottles that made me think that it refermented,but that could just be sediment I guess.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:04 PM   #6
KenSchramm
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Zadig-

RS Champagne has a very high ETOH tolerance. Timelines, info on nutrient use and gravities (start, rack, bottling) will be critical to making any kind of educated guess as well.

Sorbate won't stop a fermentation that hasn't actually ceased. Adding more juice at bottling to a high-ETOH-yeast fermented mead would explain pushed corks.

Ken

No longer a Junior Member. Thank goodness.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:14 AM   #7
zadig39
Recipes 

Thank you very much Mr. Schramm. That answers a few questions. I did save a few bottles with flip top lids. They taste pretty good at this point, a little age should do them well.

Quick Reply