Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Rubber glove for Replacement airlock

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012, 11:22 PM   #1
vahallasbrew2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Rubber glove for Replacement airlock

Can i use a rubber sterilzed glove for a airlock like the ballon?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 12:12 AM   #2
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 183 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I thought about this for a while too. I have a lot of gallon glass jars but they have really wide lids and normal balloons or stoppers will not fit them. The idea might work but I am not sure. As long as any whole punctures into the glove holds enough resistance to keep air from coming in, it should be fine unless there is some other fundamental I am missing. Keeping oxygen away from the must but allowing CO2 to escape at the same time is the only goal here.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 02-08-2012, 12:14 AM   #3
dstamper441
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

It doesn't sound like a good idea. I'm sure you could get away with it most of the time, and definitely, in an emergency, I think it would be OK. The problem is, once in a while you get a lot of blowoff, or even a good vigorous fermentation may take it off the top of your fermenter. Those little S-trap airlocks are pretty cheap ( $1.69) and the ferm buckets come prepped for them.

EDIT: After refreshing the screen and seeing the previous post: I'm talking about beer. If you are asking the question in regards to mead, then I respectfully remove myself from this discussion.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:04 AM   #4
Robusto
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ha ha ha... I actually did this for my second mead- a JAOM . all of my airlocks were being used for beers and the balloon I had on there burst so I used what I had... a surgical glove... it worked just fine. If you have the option, yes, there are better alternatives, but it will work.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:31 AM   #5
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by [U
[/U]Robusto;3757586]Ha ha ha... I actually did this for my second mead- a JAOM . all of my airlocks were being used for beers and the balloon I had on there burst so I used what I had... a surgical glove... it worked just fine. If you have the option, yes, there are better alternatives, but it will work.
+1.

Once the ferment dies down, the glove will sag, but still help retain a layer of low pressure CO2. So it'll be fine until you start racking etc.....

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Quick Reply