Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Restarting stuck ferment without new yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
jamesnsw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Restarting stuck ferment without new yeast

One of my Christmas toys is a new stirplate. I have a mead that started at 1.116, and has been at 1.040 for 3 weeks now. I'm wondering if, instead of buying more yeast, I can harvest yeast from the mead and build it up on the stirplate, and then put it back to try to restart the fermentation? If so, any tips?

Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1646 Times on 1237 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Was it the right yeast??

That yeast is probably pooped. You might freshen it without infecting your mead, but why try?

Old 01-04-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
jamesnsw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
Was it the right yeast??

That yeast is probably pooped. You might freshen it without infecting your mead, but why try?
Yeah, it was the right yeast. But because I was out of brew money and had no stirplate, it was severely underpitched.
It was White Labs 720 Sweet Mead.

I'm still on a pretty tight brew budget, and would rather spend the money on another batch of beer than restarting the mead.
Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale

Old 01-04-2010, 07:22 PM   #4
DaveAllen
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've read on the gotmead forums that the WL Sweet Mead Yeasts were spotty in their performance.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:55 PM   #5
bubbachunk
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I have never heard of doing such a thing so I wont say it cant or wont work. What are you looking to get out of the mead? Sweet I am guessing? As DaveAllen posted the yeast you used has had very spotty performance from everything I have read. If I were you I would read the restarting stuck ferments in the FAQ and use K1 since it is only another dollar or so.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:58 PM   #6
jamesnsw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
I have never heard of doing such a thing so I wont say it cant or wont work. What are you looking to get out of the mead? Sweet I am guessing? As DaveAllen posted the yeast you used has had very spotty performance from everything I have read. If I were you I would read the restarting stuck ferments in the FAQ and use K1 since it is only another dollar or so.
I was planning on following the FAQ on stuck ferments, with the exception of harvesting yeast from the mead itself.

I am going for something sweet, but it's just way too sweet right now.
In reading up before I started, people were saying that the Wyeast Sweet Mead yeast was bad, but White Lab's wasn't getting the same feedback.

Quick Reply