Renewed fermentation in Braggot?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeufelHundenM198

Reaction score
Here's the recipe:

5.5 gallons:

6lbs Wheat Malt
4lbs Pilsner Malt
0.5lbs Carapils

2oz Tettnang hops: 60mins

10lbs Tupelo Honey @ flameout

Yeast: Red Star Cotes de Blanc

Primary: 30 days @ 68-70ºF. Starting May 1st.

This is my very first braggot, though I'm not new to mead in general or beer . I lost my notes on this, so I can't recall the OG. Seemed to ferment out just fine, no issues, I followed the staggered nutrient schedule. Racked it to secondary, topped it off w/ distilled water, and it was well on its way to clearing up. The top 3 inches were nearly completely clear.

Then last sunday I went on vacation. The area is climate controlled, so it stays pretty firmly in the 68-70 range. When I came home today, there was some new activity in the airlock.. about 1 bubble every 30 seconds or so, maybe a bit faster. Could it be that maybe the climate control let it get too warm for a bit? When I came home it was dead on 68.

Any help from the masters?

Here's a couple pics:

Day 1, it's in the middle:

7151450893_17ef7d2e3a_b.jpg

Mid fermentation at some point, on the right:

7160718526_be30e41378_b.jpg

Toward the end, and especially as it started to clear, the color went to being very similar to the first pic.

It's possible that it's not fermentation, it could just be off gassing some residual CO2 that was still dissolved. Airlocks are just one way valves and not accurate indicators of fermentation. Try giving it a bit of a shake or swirl like you're trying to degas it then check your gravity on it a few times over the next week, if it stays steady or if it's dropping you will know for sure what's going on.

Back