HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Removing fruit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2010, 05:35 PM   #11
CandleWineProject
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Okay, wine is my thing, not mead, but I believe it works the same way. I see that you have two options

1. Rack, sorbate and sulfite (sorbate works better with sulfite), and then add water and honey for sweeteness. Let it age for awhile (I'm gathering it is young), which will also help disappate the sorbate/sulfite taste along with improving mead flavors.

2. Rack, probably sulfite just to make sure the water you add doesn't have contaminates. If you add honey at this stage, it will start fermenting again, and you would have to start over. Let it age for six months or so in which the yeast starve to death and completely die out. I believe if you rack again, your mead would be purged of all the yeast, and then you can add honey without the sorbates. Somebody else want to verify this process?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2010, 12:22 AM   #12
B192734
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Alrighty. So I am going to rack off of the fruit today. I will put a bit of sorbate in, top off with water and a little honey, let it go and then later I can add more honey of I think it needs a little sweetness. I think that will be my plan.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply