Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > refractometer vs hydrometer readings...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 01:27 AM   #11
Devo9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltin View Post

Most refractometers used in brewing max out at about 32 Brix, most honey is about 82 Brix. Therefore you can't measure the honey straight. You can however dilute the honey with water, a ratio of 3:1 or 4:1 hot water to honey should work. Just multiple the reading by the ratio (e.g. A reading of 21 Brix in a 3:1 solution would mean the honey is actually 84 Brix.)
Awe, too bad. Makes sense, but still too bad. I'll have to get myself one of those professional brewing laboratories when I win the lottery, then I can get all the cool gadgets.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 02:18 AM   #12
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 597

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo9 View Post
Awe, too bad. Makes sense, but still too bad. I'll have to get myself one of those professional brewing laboratories when I win the lottery, then I can get all the cool gadgets.
If you don't have a calculator you could use pencil and paper.

Baseball is purer than life; it's symmetrical, fair, and dignified. There's no debating what happened: it happened.
MARVIN COHEN

Old 01-08-2013, 03:51 AM   #13
brewguyver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo9

Some medical equipment companies scrap lab equipment (scopes, sensors, etc.) on a regular basis. It's "too hard" for them to do the math if they sell or donate, so they pitch stuff and take a write-down. Depending on where you live, you might be able to score some major equipment at close to $0.

Brewguyver - the man who does everything wrong so you won't have to!

Old 01-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #14
voltin
Beholden to the Yeast
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Honestly most equipment is gong to require a dilution of some sort. The bench refractometers I have seen go to about 50-70 %Brix. I also think the viscosity of the honey plays a part in this, it would be too hard to get a good consistent sample on the prism surface

On Deck: Motor Oil Barleywine, Cider Trials, Vanilla Cream Ale, California Blonde
Primary: Cotton Blossom Traditional Mead, 1744 Porter (Ale-ian Society Club Brew), Old Ale
Secondary: Peach Wine, Cranberry Cider
Kegged: Christmas Ale, YHC English Summer Ale
On Tap: Nothing :(
Bottled: Yup still nothing...

Old 01-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #15
Devo9
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltin View Post
Honestly most equipment is gong to require a dilution of some sort. The bench refractometers I have seen go to about 50-70 %Brix. I also think the viscosity of the honey plays a part in this, it would be too hard to get a good consistent sample on the prism surface
Good to know, but I want being entirely serious...

Old 01-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #16
Devo9
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaefebs View Post
If you don't have a calculator you could use pencil and paper.
And next thing you know, you'll suggest I should write thing out instead of using a computer. Or use a map instead of my GPS... Geeze, what has the world come to? ;-)

Quick Reply