Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Red Tea Metheglin won't ferment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2005, 06:43 PM   #1
digdan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Red Tea Metheglin won't ferment

I have a 5 gallon batch that refuses to ferment. Here are the stats on it :

I used 5 gallons tap water, and 15lbs of bulk honey (non-cream style). I simmered and skimmed the top(did not boil) for one hour. I also added my red tea at the start of simmering. I then hydrated my Lalvin 71b-1122 yeast. Red tea(Rooibos) is low in tannins so I added 1/2 tsp of tannins, and used gypsum to add sulfates(I had no more campden tablets). I adjusted the acidity with half a lemon, juiced and rinds threw into primary fermenter. I then pitched the hydrated yeast. After 2 days the airlock did not budge.

I checked the ingredients on the tea, and found no preservatives. Expecting bad yeast, I hydrated large mead yeast. I pitched the new yeast and waited another two days. Still no movement on the airlock. Replaced the airlock and waited another two days. No movement. I created a starter off the must and added energizer and nutrients and used a champagne yeast. I let the starter sit for two hours and it was fermenting just fine. I also rocked the carboy to add some oxygen into the must. I pitched it in and waited another two days. Nothing. I'm very frustrated and am about to throw out the batch. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2005, 05:23 PM   #2
digdan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Update on Rooibos Mead

The last step did rectify the fermentation problem. Day 3 there was very small bubbles collecting on the top of the must. Day 4 the airlock was pulverized by the massive fermentation.

Here is my lesson on this brewing session. Be patient, even if everything looks grim and that started Champagne yeast can handle anything

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply