Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Red hibiscus mead... bee swarm almost stopped me.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2013, 01:54 AM   #31
Arpolis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVMJ View Post
Aropolis, your post is a little confusing. Are you saying that they were flying around and ok and within 2 hrs all died? You may have just been robbed out, that happens to small hives, all the bees you saw buzzing around were not your bees but robbers, when you opened the hive you saw the results of the fight your little colony put up against the robbers. The wasp was probably just scavenging. I lost a nuc yesterday just like this, I had the entrance blocked off but they were to weak and the other bees took every drop of honey. The important thing is that you got a taste for it. Make sure to put your nuc order in soon. WVMJ
Well that makes some sense. I will say that there is not a drop of honey or pollen left that I know they had stored. Here is a pic before I noticed them dead.

image.jpg

Now I did see two bees attacking one in the after math. Hmmmmm never thought of robbers. Would they leave the queen though? I looked today and what few brood were left were all dead. Ants were in one comb and there was 1 queen and a small handful of bees walking around. You are right I do have a good taste and I have already talked with a NUC supplier and will have the order in and paid for in January.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2013, 03:31 AM   #32
Lungus
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Would they leave the queen though?
Could workers be hardwired not to harm a queen? Maybe it's only queens who fight queens when they are fighting for supremacy. I was thinking that the queens close entourage might have had enough of her pheromones on them to protect them as well. Of course this is all speculation from a know nothing, hahahaha.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #33
kc_in_wv
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Now that you have posted the picture of the hive when you thought they were active, I retract my statement of pesticide kill!!
I agree with Mountaineer Jack. They were robbed out. The picture is of a hive that is being robbed out. That is a tough situation to overcome this late in the year.

What I smoke has a sting to it.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #34
kc_in_wv
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Something to think about. It is tough to keep a top bar hive alive in some climates. If you have winters with long stretches (over a week) of below 50 degree weather, it will be difficult for the bee's to keep access to winter stores.

The bee cluster will not leave brood in the winter time, so they have to have warm enough weather to break cluster (50 degrees) to get access to honey and move it to the cluster area. I have actually seen hives die with honey stores within 1/2 inch of the dead cluster.

Consider getting a 8 frame or 10 frame standard hive.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #35
Arpolis
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc_in_wv View Post
Something to think about. It is tough to keep a top bar hive alive in some climates. If you have winters with long stretches (over a week) of below 50 degree weather, it will be difficult for the bee's to keep access to winter stores.

The bee cluster will not leave brood in the winter time, so they have to have warm enough weather to break cluster (50 degrees) to get access to honey and move it to the cluster area. I have actually seen hives die with honey stores within 1/2 inch of the dead cluster.

Consider getting a 8 frame or 10 frame standard hive.
??? This is a 10 Fran Langstroth hive. If figured that was standard. My only difference is that it was foundationless frames.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 09-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #36
WVMJ
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I love the foundationless frames from Kellys, you never know what artwork the bees are going to create with them. One nuc I made up I was short a frame and left only 4 foundationless frames in there and then forgot to come back during the flow and add another. THose combs are so thick now that only the 4 will fit in the box, they can pull the honey comb much wider than you think. Some people say to start your foundationless in between some brood comb so the get the depth right and make it straight. But we just cut the comb out no matter what it looks like, do a crush and strain and then use our press on the wax to get the rest of the honey out. I would strongly suggest to get at least 2 hives and keep an extra nuc around to requeen with if needed. That way things will always be rolling along, if you loose one queen and you only have 1 hive you are pretty much screwed. The 2 and a half hives is a basic starter strategy, and if one hive is stronger you can use its resources to boost the other. WVMJ

Old 09-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #37
Arpolis
Recipes 

I think that will be my plan. I am fencing off a section of yard with 6ft privacy fence with doors and all to meet city codes and all have room for 2-4 hives back there. The way I imagine it they will all be separated by privacy fence and all be about 15-20ft away from each other. And I do like the foundationless frames so far. All 3 combs started were all strait and really thick. I do thing I will have one hive box next year with foundation just to see how it goes.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:49 AM   #38
WVMJ
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 21

You might as well get your library started on beekeeping. Its just like winemaking, beerbrewing or making mead or cider. A guy starts with his first kit, picks a few apples and squeezes them, makes a beer better than the stuff at the store, gets their first beehive. Next thing you know, the whole house is sticky, wife is pissed because she got stung by a bee on the doorknob because you got honey on it, your brown dog looks like a little bear and cant go with you to check the hives anymore, you have to put some combs in the freezer to kill the moths, you keep extra stuff around in case another swarm shows up - and then your whole garage is dedicated to brewing, or becomes a press pad, or starts to have 300 gallon fermentors in it, or you become the local honey house for your beekeeping group- and then you decide to turn pro, and then the fun really begins If you read any good bee books, most of those guys started out with a single hive and went nuts from there, just like starting with a single carboy, you always need more WVMJ

People Like This 
Old 09-29-2013, 12:25 AM   #39
kc_in_wv
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpolis View Post
??? This is a 10 Fran Langstroth hive. If figured that was standard. My only difference is that it was foundationless frames.
Sorry they way my computer loaded the picture it looks very long.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #40
Arpolis
Recipes 

Ok I racked this finally to secondary. I added Camden and sorbate and here a several hours I will add 2 more cans of the 3.3 raspberry purée. I will see how that goes and when I rack again in a few months I will back sweeten to 1.02ish. Looks good! Smells a bit acidic but that is to be expected with raspberry. Wish the brew luck.

Quick Reply