Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Red hibiscus mead... bee swarm almost stopped me.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #11
butterpants
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 29

While I do like me some honey, the best bees/wasps/hornets are dead ones.... especially when talking about my yard. Time to get suited up and bust out the chems

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #12
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Wasps/hornets... Yea go for it. BUT SAVE THE BEES!!! Many local beekeepers will take a swarm from your yard for free. That gives them one more hive possibly and more honey which could increase supply over demand if done enough and lower the god awful cost of honey we have. The more bees the merrier.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

gratus fermentatio Likes This 
Old 09-03-2013, 12:33 AM   #13
wildozarkwine
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Awsome, glad it worked out for you. Hopefully next year they will provide you with enough honey to make a batch of wild bee mead!

Homebrewing since before the turn of the century!
Primary 1-Blackberry

Find me on FB - Wild Ozark Wine

Old 09-03-2013, 12:46 AM   #14
Arpolis
Recipes 

That is what I want. A good show mead from my honey. Just honey, water and yeast.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 09-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #15
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 785 Times on 547 Posts
Likes Given: 2084

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpolis View Post
Wasps/hornets... Yea go for it. BUT SAVE THE BEES!!! Many local beekeepers will take a swarm from your yard for free. That gives them one more hive possibly and more honey which could increase supply over demand if done enough and lower the god awful cost of honey we have. The more bees the merrier.
Agreed. Honeybees are awesome! The honeybees in my garden are so busy & docile, I can actually pet them with my pinky finger as they work a blossom. They seem to have no interest in stinging at all. I can work in the garden & the only insects that bother me are the wasps; though I hate those freeloading grasshoppers.
Regards, GF.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #16
kc_in_wv
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

They (the bee's) have a long way to go to get ready for winter. To get them ready feed them sugar water 1 part sugar to 1 part water (1to1) Do not let them run out of it. The hive would probably have a better chance of surviving if they were in a stack of 2, 5 frame nuc boxes if you have one.

It takes the thin mixture of sugar water or nectar to stimulate the queen to lay eggs (to make more bee's) and the workers to make wax.

About the time of your first killing frost switch the feed to 2 to 1 sugar water for them to build up stores for the winter. In this part of the country it takes 60 lb of honey for a hive to make it through the winter. You might want to talk to a local beekeeper about the amount you need.

You might make it but it will take lots of sugar to do it.

What I smoke has a sting to it.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #17
Arpolis
Recipes 

Yea I have been talking with lots of folks out at the beesource.com site about the hive and also talking with locals. I currently have them on a 1-1 ration sugar water. Ill keep that on till the frost since that is what you and many others suggest. Really population re-building is all I am focused on now. In the winter I can keep rem fed on a couple sugar boards. Basically you line a frame with hardware cloth and then a thin layer of newspaper and fill it with 12lb of cooked sugar. If cooked right it hardens into a board of sugar and a couple should last the whole winter. If I can just get them to build enough comb to get the population up in the next 6-8 weeks then I think I will be fine.

kc_in_wv Likes This 
Old 09-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #18
WVMJ
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Those folks over at www.beesource.com really are the best. WVMJ

Old 09-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #19
WVMJ
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 21

You are in a mead forum! Wvmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterpants View Post
while i do like me some honey, the best bees/wasps/hornets are dead ones.... Especially when talking about my yard. Time to get suited up and bust out the chems

Old 09-26-2013, 12:52 AM   #20
Arpolis
Recipes 

I wanted to post this here in case anyone was following the thread for the sake of wanting to know about the hive. The Jedi sure felt this one today but within a 2 hour time span 98% of my entire hive crawled in the hive and died for some reason. Here are some pics. Warning beekeepers with weak stomachs don't look.

image.jpg

I did find the queen but she is not on her comb but rather running frantically all over the interior of the hive. I have no clue what happened. The last two days the whole hive was alive more than ever all outside going to all my Rose of Sharon trees and looking just super active and day over day really building comb. I looked at them all today and a lot were on the outside of the hive along all the cracks which is a little weird. Two hours later and just so many dead. After coming in and going back out I did find a single wasp going into the hive. I have no idea if a swarm of wasps did this but that was something.

Quick Reply