Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Rebottling?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2008, 06:53 PM   #1
Tusch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Default Rebottling?

Ok so here's the deal. I bottles my first cyser and first batch of JAOM several months ago. This was a long time ago relative to the amount of knowledge I have gotten, mainly from this forum. In my homebrewing ignorance, I bottled a bit early. This lead to too corks popping and a fair amount of sediment in all of the remaining bottles.

Now to the question, how do people feel about rebottling. I could allow all the bottles to stand up right long enough for the sediment to settle to the bottom, then siphon from these into a bottling bucket and right back into the bottles. I expect there may be a bit of loss due to racking, but is it worth the risk of oxidation, loss of brew etc?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2008, 07:28 PM   #2
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I say drink it and drink it quick! You will never get the proper level of carbonation by trying to re-carb partially carbonated stuff. Additionally when it carbonates it makes more sediement so you aren't going to solve that problem.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 04-30-2008, 07:50 PM   #3
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

It is bottled still.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:53 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4281 Times on 3120 Posts
Likes Given: 829

Well, if you have corks popping out, you have to do something. But, if that's stopped, then I'd leave it be. Yes, you have some sediment in your bottles, but you can always decant to serve the mead. That will also allow the carbonation to come out of solution.

If you really, really, want to rebottle, you can. I'd open them, and every so gently siphon them to a bottling bucket in which you've dissolved one campden tablet per gallon of mead in a little water. Then rebottle. But if it was up to me, I'd leave it. Just drink it, and realize that experience is the best teacher of all.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:58 PM   #5
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Yeah I figured as much Yoop, always appreciate your experience and advice

Everything I have made since these first two "experiments" have been much more by the book. I currently have 4 1 gallon batches aging and 1 6 gallon batch in secondary.

Quick Reply