Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Raspberry melomel/bochet, good idea?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2011, 01:22 PM   #1
GurraG
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Raspberry melomel/bochet, good idea?

Reading about bochet (mead with caramelized honey) got me interested. Ii would seem to me as if the toffee/marshmallow taste that could be the result of the caramelized honey would complement a sweet-ish raspberry melomel nicely. Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
mutedog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

That technique sounds awesome, I'm probably going to have to do something like that now.

I suppose it depends on how much fruit you use, raspberries are pretty potent in flavor, that might overwhelm the caramelized honey flavors.

Maker of weird beers

Old 03-17-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
GurraG
Recipes 

I don't realy know. I was thinking about using this recipe as a starting point, but with raspberries instead of blueberries, wine yeast instead of bread yeast, and obvioulsy caramerlized honey:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f80/bens...ripoff-208357/
I'm thinking half a kilo of raspberries (more or less one lb) and about two kilos of honey (around four and half lbs) and five litres of water (about 1.3 gallons). Would that work? I want a relatively strong raspberry flavour, but also a clear honey character.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:12 PM   #4
mutedog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

blueberries are a lot more delicate in flavor than raspberries though it also depends on the type of raspberries and the individual berries themselves.

I think I would use half as much raspberries as you're proposing then at the end of fermentation give it a taste. You can always mash up more berries and add them if you think it needs more.

Are you going to caramelize all of the honey or just a portion?

Maker of weird beers

Old 03-17-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
GurraG
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutedog View Post
Are you going to caramelize all of the honey or just a portion?
Not quite sure. My first thought was to caramelize half of it, but when you mention that the raspberries might overpower the honey flavour I'm thinking that maybe I should caramelize the whole lot. As I wrote, I want the caramel character to come through clearly.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
2ndGenBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've done a Bochet about a year ago and it turned out quite good (no fruit additions).
I didn't blacken the honey like some, I carmelized it till it was dark brown and had a strong carmel character. The carmel tast came through strong. Just be carful to watch the batch while carmelizing. I nearly had a boil over a few times.

Quick Reply