New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > A Rare Mead Indeed!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
ruger12pk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default A Rare Mead Indeed!

I like to frequent a site here on the web that has a lot of beginner mead brewing tips and the other day the site host posted some pictures of a 38 year old bottle of Lindesfarne Mead!.....im guessing it would be tasty and spectacular...

go see it here:

All About Mead Making

"I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, I love only that which they defend.”

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts

That's an intersting site with a lot of great tips. I like the way this guy thinks outside of the box with ideas like using coconuts as primary fermentation vessels. Thanks for the link.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:02 PM   #3
ruger12pk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersolstice View Post
That's an intersting site with a lot of great tips. I like the way this guy thinks outside of the box with ideas like using coconuts as primary fermentation vessels. Thanks for the link.
Your quite welcome SS!
It is his one gallon methods im using right now to get started in my new hobby. Ive emailed him many times with questions and he answers quickly and he isnt bothered by noobs like me. Your right about the coconuts. Id love to hear if they are turning out or not! Very unusual!

"I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, I love only that which they defend.”

Old 12-19-2008, 08:05 PM   #4
ruger12pk
Recipes 

Default 38 year old bottle

One more thing. How is it possible to ferment a beverage for 2 years? Astonishing to me but it may be simple...now THOSE monks have patience!....LOL

Old 12-19-2008, 09:01 PM   #5
jezter6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger12pk View Post
One more thing. How is it possible to ferment a beverage for 2 years? Astonishing to me but it may be simple...now THOSE monks have patience!....LOL

Small feedings. Start with 1/3 the recipe, and put in 1/2# honey every few weeks once the bubbling starts to slow.

I did it with Apfelwein - I put in a can of concentrate every week for 2 months to keep it fermenting.

I am a member of the Maryland Brewday Group - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/md-brew-day/

MD Dec Brewday 12/11/10 - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f20/md-pa-de-dc-winter-brew-day-195534/

Old 12-20-2008, 05:30 AM   #6
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a bottle that I made in 94 or 96...not quite 38 years old, but...

Old 12-20-2008, 06:12 AM   #7
SacredAngel
Recipes 

I'm glad you posted this. The one gallon method seems simple and small which is right up my alley since I live in an apartment and I'm just getting started.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:02 AM   #8
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

- Fermentation was allowed to continue for 2 years producing a natural strength of 24.2 % proof spirit. The mead was laid down in casks in 1970 and remained therein until bottle in 1976. -

Wow, I'm really PO'd that my personal stash of meads made in 93-98 have all "disappeared". I think it is time to build a lockbox storage unit for the batches I'm making now. Or just stop inviting friends and family over.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:03 PM   #9
hightest
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauai_Kahuna View Post
- Fermentation was allowed to continue for 2 years producing a natural strength of 24.2 % proof spirit. The mead was laid down in casks in 1970 and remained therein until bottle in 1976.
Now what does that say about those who are overly concerned about autolysis, and the need to promptly rack their mead off the lees?

IMO (and that of others), autolysis is not necessarily a bad thing. It can add complexity to a mead. My last pyment (Riesling) was intentionally left on the primary lees for 9 months to add a hint of nuttiness to it...

Old 12-21-2008, 02:45 AM   #10
flyweed
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Ruger. Will (owner of stormthecastle.com) is a great guy and has lots of good advice..but if you haven't talked with him yet about some of those 1 gallon recipes..he did NOT like a couple of them. His Raspberry was far too sweet...trust me, I've made this one..the amount of honey needs to be cut way back, and more raspberries added in my opinion. His orange/spice/cinnamon is nice..but just a slight variation of JAOM recipe. His vanilla mead he made, he said was flat out horrible and would never make again. His Pumpkin mead he said was very nice.

Again, he's got some great info and has helped me out alot too. If you talk to him again tell him Dan says hi!

Dan

On Tap: Blackberry Blonde Ale
On Tap: Apple/Cherry Hard Cider

Quick Reply