Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Raisins

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2012, 11:26 PM   #1
Zbay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Raisins

hey guys I was thinking about tossing some raisins into the primary. I have a 5 gallon batch going So how many raisins would be ideal for this size batch? Thanks for answering my new bee questions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 12:35 AM   #2
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 940 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 2549

I've used as much as 2 pouinds of raisins in mead/wine/cider, works great! Adds body and fermentable sugars, but not really any discernable flavour. You need to coarsely chop 'em in a blender/food processor so the yeast can get at them, but it's easy to do so.
Regards, GF.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:42 AM   #3
Zbay
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Is it normal to lose airlock activity after you open your primary cover? Maybe i'm just being parinoid but I would hate to have stuned the yeast and and possibly ruining my batch of mead.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:48 AM   #4
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbay View Post
Is it normal to lose airlock activity after you open your primary cover? Maybe I'm just being paranoid but I would hate to have stunned the yeast and and possibly ruining my batch of mead.
Of course it is. If you reduce or remove the pressure that is allowing the airlock to bubble, then it stops.

If the ferment is slowing down and producing less CO2, then it can take a while before you see bubble evidence of activity. If you didn't manage to make a complete seal on the fermenter when replacing the lid/bung/cover then you'd have continued activity but no visible proof.

Which is why it's best to use gravity readings to monitor the progress of a ferment and not try and mistakenly use bubble activity.

You can't stun the yeast by exposing it to any air/O2 and while it depends on the ingredients and type of brew, it's not as easy as that to mess a batch up enough to have ruined it.

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 02-26-2012, 01:40 AM   #5
Zbay
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

That makes perfect sense, I guess i'm just nervous seeing as this is my first time making mead. Thanks for the help and the informitive reply.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
tkbywater
Recipes 

Added some raisins to a batch of cider. forgot to chop them first, they are all floating. should I wait for them to sink before racking? will they eventually sink?

Quick Reply