Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Racking

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
Aquavitae
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Racking

So it appears to be time for me to rack my intended blackberry mead onto the berries.

I have a bag of frozen blackberries. How long do I let them sit together in secondary? Is there anything I need to do to the berries before I rack? They are commercially packaged.

Thanks all!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
paraordnance
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Dump the frozen berries in, wait 10-12 hours to thaw, then rack on top. Wait 5-7 days on berries, then rack to clearing vessel

Old 01-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraordnance View Post
Dump the frozen berries in, wait 10-12 hours to thaw, then rack on top. Wait 5-7 days on berries, then rack to clearing vessel
That's one way.....

If the ferment has finished, I'd just dump the berries in, rack on top of them and add some sulphite, just in case there's any wild yeasts in the fruit.

Then just leave them. I look for a lightening of the colour of the fruit skins, but that can sometimes be harder to spot with "black" fruit. So probably a month (presuming there's no air space above the liquid/fruit).

Or sometimes I just put the fruit in loose and wait for it to drop - still with the sulphite though.

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 01-21-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
Matrix4b
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

Personally, I like to puree and use a screen to clear out the seeds. Many say that all you really need to do is let them thaw and sqush them to burst the berry bubbles so that the mead has access to the inside.

I also would put them in a mesh back for ease of removal. Just a large mesh bag with plenty of room in it, not tightly packed.

Steralizing the fruit is not neccessary. After all at this point your must is about 9-10 percent alcohol, that will take care of any possible spoilage organisms. Many times such fruit is packed with a preservative, and if you are looking for more fermentation after the addition the preservative will prevent it.

Matrix

Quick Reply