New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Quick mead for a casual drink.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 12:54 AM   #1
Arpolis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default Quick mead for a casual drink.

I am racking and stabilizing a couple of my long term meads today and found that I am short on small quick drinking mead/wines/cider. So I thought I would use some leftovers and make a small 1.5L batch that is a low ABV something that I can get to in the next 30 days.

First after racking my skeeter mead I took some of the lalvin 71b lees and halved it with water, added a touch of DAP and B6, along with a couple tsp of honey and made a small starter to wake up the yeast.

Then after racking a ginger mead I took the leftover ginger, boiled it some and am now using that water.

I am going to make a partial bochet out of this.

I have 8.5oz honey in a pot with the ginger water and I am caramelizing it as we type. After a couple hours I will add that to the small glass carboy I have. I'll adjust the gravity with more honey to 1.06.

Tomorrow ill pitch the yeast and let her rip. wish me luck on this batch.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
SouthernGorilla
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I'm keen to see how this goes. I've been wanting to start a low ABV mead myself. And ginger sounds like a great way to do it.

Why did you add water before caramelizing the honey? My understanding is that you should cook the honey on its own to caramelize it. One thing for sure, caramelized honey is amazing stuff.

If by "sanitized" you mean "rinsed under hot water and glared at sternly" then, yes, I sanitized my equipment.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
Arpolis
Recipes 

I do that for all my bochet types. The result is that I get less honey that changes to carbon. So my bochet types don't get that smokey burnt marshmallow type taste. It just has the toffee/Carmel like flavors.

I also added 1 tea bag of orange blossom hibiscus tea to the primary. The yeast is rolling and it is bubbling a way. Lets see where this goes.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 06-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
danebramaged
Recipes 

Just started 1 gal ginger mead yesterday. 2lbs honey and 3 oz ginger boiled for ten minutes and then honey added at flame out. Used lalvin 1118.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
Arpolis
Recipes 

Sounds good. Lets compare tasting notes once these are both clear. I have a 5 gallon ginger mead alluded to in the first post. It was 12lb honey, 50 raisins, some powdered and candy ginger plus nutrients with k1v-1116 yeast in primary then 2 1/2lb freshest sliced/crushed ginger in secondary.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
Vikings
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have a 4 gallon ginger/blood orange mead in primary right now. I used 16lbs of orange blossom honey, 4 large ginger roots peeled and cut into thin disks, and have 8 small blood oranges waiting for it to go into primary. Right now it is chugging away and is already HOT and delicious!

Old 06-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #7
SouthernGorilla
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpolis View Post
I do that for all my bochet types. The result is that I get less honey that changes to carbon. So my bochet types don't get that smokey burnt marshmallow type taste. It just has the toffee/Carmel like flavors.
Interesting. I may have to try that with my next bochet. The first one I just stopped cooking when the honey got to the caramel point. Well, I did let one batch get smokey. I plan to go for seriously smokey when I try for a "stout" mead.

If by "sanitized" you mean "rinsed under hot water and glared at sternly" then, yes, I sanitized my equipment.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:41 PM   #8
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Alright Arpolis....how much approximate water to that 8.5oz honey & what temp?

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 06-02-2013, 01:51 AM   #9
Arpolis
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post
Alright Arpolis....how much approximate water to that 8.5oz honey & what temp?
Ah i did not add that sorry. I added 1.5 liters worth. Basically filled up the small carboy I am using, dumped that into the ginger, boiled for a bit and then added to the honey. After just over an hour I reduce the volume by 2/3. It had a nice dark toffee color to it and smelled really nice.

In larger batches of bochet I have done about 3 parts water to one part honey, and end up adding a few cups of water as it reduces to keep the water to honey ratio up if I am not at my target color.

The temp on this was on a high flame with the gas stove. Never took an actual temp of it. I may need to do that in the future. This only took an hour to get to the color I wanted. Usually for larger batches I run it at a lower temp at about a medium low flame to keep the level of the boil down. My pots are not that big and I constantly have to fight it from boiling over. When I do that it may take close to 2 hours to reach the same level of color.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #10
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Much appreciated. Having flashbacks to my teens when I worked in a popcorn shop in the mall & made caramel (but with butter, etc) and toffee in a copper kettle which was gigantic. Burned my arms so many times lifting that thing. This will be much simpler (though now I want caramel popcorn!)

Motto: quel che sara sara

Quick Reply