Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Questions on using oak chips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 12:57 AM   #11
AZhornedtoad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Heres the Brother Adam Mead Making web site:
http://www.pedigreeapis.org/biblio/artcl/FAmead53en.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 07:31 AM   #12
ThirstyVine
Recipes 

One question in regards to the use of oak with mead, is it re-useable or after one batch do you toss it.

Thirsty Vine

Old 02-21-2013, 08:34 AM   #13
WVMJ
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 21

One version you guys havent talked about is oak powder, comes in untoasted white and med toast. We add about 11 grams/gal when we mix up everything in the primary, it sinks to the bottom by the time you transfer into the secondary, you can add more or less. No infections doing it many years like this. Then if we want more oak we add either chips or beans or even my favorite in bulk aging a toasted oak stave that goes from the top to the bottom of the carboy so its always exposed, also no infection just adding any of the different oaks directly. Timing has also been a big issue, some well known winemaking writers say most of the oak comes out in a couple of days, most people thinks it takes months, you will have to figure that one our on your own.

WVMJ

Old 02-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #14
Matrix4b
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirstyVine View Post
One question in regards to the use of oak with mead, is it re-useable or after one batch do you toss it.

Thirsty Vine
Actually, I only use the oak chips once. Mostly because I have differnet batches and different flavors that I don't want mixed. I personally think that their may be more flavor to be extracted there but realistically it isn't worth it. So, No, only used once, personally.

The second part of your question is do I toss it afterward. No, I save the chips for smoking meat with. The essence of the mead and the oak smoke can mix for some great flavors. So I keep them in a zip lock after drying them off and use them for grilling later.

Matrix

Quick Reply