Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > questions for sima (finnish)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2009, 08:17 PM   #11
wilbanba
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default alrighty then

i guess there is a dearth of ethnic alcohol recipes in here

every time ive seen it in print its referred to as a mead
whether its bc honey was historically included instead of refined sugar i dont know but it is what it is
Wikipedia considers it a mead too for some reason

now then, all i need to know is how to find out when fermentation has been completed. i already have pressure in the bottles but have to way of telling when ferm is finished (pun) i.e. all the sugars have been exhausted. could i use a hydrometer for this?

theoretically i could use a Brix refractometer but dont want the holiday drinks to get that expensive

thanks for the help everyone!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2009, 09:06 PM   #12
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Looked up a recipe or two, it sounds... interesting. It isn't actually a mead though, as far as I can see. To be a mead, 1/2 or more of the fermentables must be honey, and it doesn't sound like you have any.

If you are carbonating it, you don't want to know when fermentation is complete, you don't want it to complete at all. You let it ferment for 12 hours or so to get a bit of alcohol (tiny amount) and more so to make sure there is a good yeast colony. You then bottle it, so the yeast can eat up some of the remaining sugars, enough to carbonate it. But at this point, when it is fully carbed, you need to refrigerate it, otherwise you risk overcarbonating it and having exploding bottles.

Basically, this recipe scares me a bit. But to succeed with it, I would bottle it in plastic soda containers, such as 2 liter or 20 oz bottles. Then when they are very firm, put them in a refrigerator. You pretty much need to drink an entire bottle, because there isn't really anyway to recarb it, unless you left it at room temp, but that might create some seriously funky flavors.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:11 AM   #13
wilbanba
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

its good stuff
ive made it many times with lemons, some with oranges, limes and lingonberry are next
thanks for all your help its really been useful

Old 01-30-2009, 04:24 AM   #14
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I didn't mean to offend with anything I said, so I hope some of what I said really did help.

Quick Reply