Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Questions on my first JAOM

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
damdaman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

Default Questions on my first JAOM

I started my first batch of JAOM 2 weeks ago. Opened it up to take a gravity reading today, and SG is 1.006 and still appears to be working! I thought this stuff was supposed to finish fairly sweet? It was a 3gal batch so I pitched 3 packets of Fleischmann's yeast, so probably over-pitched based on looking back at the recipe, maybe that has something to do with it?

It doesn't taste bad, if a bit rough... there's definitely an odd bitterness to it that I assume would normally be covered up by the residual sweetness, and the cloves come through a bit stronger than I would have hoped.

I'm assuming best course is to leave it alone, let it finish, stabilize and back-sweeten at bottling?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 12:11 AM   #2
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It seems some end up with a natural residual sugar and others ferment dry. So stabilizing with k-meta plus sorbate prior to b/s is an option. My 2010 JMAO is now approaching three years old and was tweaked with one cup of Hershey's chocolate syrup per gallon--became chocolate orange spice mead, quite nice--two bottles left.
Getting ready to start a fresh gallon of original JMAO on New Year's Day, it is a tradition.

As far as the taste of your batch, definitely give it some time as you will be amazed how it ages. Personally I have yet to enjoy JMAO as soon as it is clear, but around three months it starts to perk up for me. I also use good honey, orange blossom and tupelo are my favorites--meadowfoam when I have it. I really like to play with different combinations of honey.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 12-28-2012, 05:34 AM   #3
damdaman
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

Thanks, good to know that some people end up with this recipe dry. I do think I'll back-sweeten eventually though, but I look forward to seeing how the flavor matures.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Generally, JAO starts high and finishes at about the 1.020 to 1.030 sort of area. Plus when scaling up from 1 gallon you'd normally just triple all ingredients except the yeast, but just leave it to do its thing IMO then once the fruit has dropped rack and taste then. It may recover some perception of sweetness. If it doesn't then think about back sweetening......

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 07-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
dieri007
Recipes 

Default Also my first batch of JAOM, Help!

So I started my first batch of JAOM. We did a 5 gallon batch and are doing it in a fermenting bucket. The airlock still isn't bubbling!!?? When we open it up there is a lot of foam and bubbles. Is it working or not?

Old 07-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 411 Times on 362 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

Probably,the bucket may not be totally sealed.Plus by opening it you released alot of it.Does it bubble when you press down on the lid? You may get a better seal by resealing it. How much yeast did you pitch? I know they say to not scale up the yeast but for 5 gal,I think I would use at least 2 tsp bread yeast personally. Especially if you have more honey per pound.

Quick Reply