Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Questions about making sweeter meads

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2010, 03:51 PM   #21
vulture1963
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacole View Post
I was looking at the Lalvin 71B-1122 last night and noticed in the datasheet that its says to pitch 25-40g/hl. At 40g/hl that comes out to 1.5g/gallon. So that means I wouldn't need the whole pack then. Is there a conversion from weight to teaspoons?
Use the whole packet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #22
dacole
Recipes 

That was a quick reply. I shall do that then.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:06 PM   #23
Hinermad
Recipes 

I just measured a 5 gram pack of Pasteur Champagne yeast (I had extra) and it looks like 3 grams is just a whisker more than a teaspoon, but not quite a heaping teaspoon. The whole packet, 5 grams, is about 1 2/3 teaspoons.

Since a packet is generally sized to make a 5 gallon batch of wine, you could just measure out what you have and use a third of it. Me, I just use half a pack for each gallon batch, but I'm not exactly an expert.

Dave

Old 01-02-2010, 07:50 PM   #24
dacole
Recipes 

All right. I went and bought my gear today. I got Lalvin 71B-1122 for the yeast and picked up some nutrient and energizer made by ABC Cork. The store I went to does not have Fermaid K so that kind of sucked.

The yeast nutrient says to add 1 tsp per gallon and the energizer says to add 0.5 tsp per gallon. The energizer says to add it if the fermentation gets stuck. Would it hurt to add it along with the nutrient at the start?

Old 01-03-2010, 09:16 PM   #25
dacole
Recipes 

I measured the SG of my apple juice to be 1.05. So I plan on using the following recipe. Not having any experience, but from using hightests spreadsheet, this should ferment to a medium sweet mead.

2.2 lbs honey
~1 gallon apple juice (spreadsheet says 0.81 gallons)
1/2 packet 71B-1122
¾ tsp nutrient
½ tsp energizer

Thank you all for your help. Unfortunately I won't be able to start this till next weekend. Tomorrow is my first day back to work in 8 months and my little ones keep me busy in the night.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:26 AM   #26
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I love that spreadsheet also, I use it for all my meads and ciders and I think I'm actually learning a lot from it.
It does kind of take the magic out of everything which in a twisted way I kind of miss, but I do prefer having everything broken down in simple numbers that I can see, and follow.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Quick Reply