Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Question About Yeasts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2009, 11:39 AM   #1
Reverie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Question About Yeasts

So I've got my eye on a brouchet/mediaeval burnt mead for my next concoction but I had heard something strange the other day at my LHBS. The guy said he caramelizes his honey when he backsweetens because it changes the simple sugar into a complex sugar, which the yeast disagrees with. Obviously that's not entirely true since burning the bajesus out of honey would guaranteeingly leave only complex sugars for the brouchet's yeast to eat, but I was wondering if there is any logic to that, and if maybe the finished taste of the brouchet has something to do with the rate or exclusivity of complex sugars that are broken down and eaten? Or am I overthinking something that's totally misguided?

Last edited by Reverie; 12-27-2009 at 11:42 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Caramelizing converts simple sugars to complex ones, that he has right. Also, yeast cannot absorb long-chain sugars, so ditto. Caramelization isn't an instant process, so you could limit the percentage converted. I haven't tried a burnt mead, but caramel would certainly be a step towards burnt.

Be aware fructose caramelizes at much lower temperatures than other sugars.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply