Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
Wagwag
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Question

Is mead a slow fermenter? I started a batch yesterday and this morning I didn't notice any action on my vapor lock

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
johns
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 29

depends... Did you use energizer, or nutrient in the fermenter? Did you make a starter? What kind of yeast did you use? What kind of ingredients did you use?

All these factore have a role in how fast the fermentation starts.

however, I am sure that the fermentation will be fine. Sometimes it just takes longer than others.

Yeast needs to acclimate to thier enviroment and there is always a lag time before they start to aggressivly eat the sugars.

If after 4 or 5 days nothing happens, then I would be concerned.

Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder
WC Fields

Kegged: Centennial Blond

Bottled: Mambo in your mouth, Cranberry mead, Peach Ginger mead, HopSlam, Citra DIPA

Primary: Vanilla Bean Dark Lord.

Secondary: Firestone Walker Wooky Jack

Old 02-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
Wagwag
Recipes 

Ok good, that's all I needed to hear. All the products I used were really good quality, so I'm not that concerned.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:30 AM   #4
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagwag View Post
Ok good, that's all I needed to hear. All the products I used were really good quality, so I'm not that concerned.
Quality ? hum? that should be considered relative......and best dealt with by Robert Prisig in his book "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance".

Relative, because you can make meads with any honey, but "quality" is often meant by a nice tasting, raw honey. Completely unchanged from its natural state.

Excellent to read you batch is progressing. Well done.

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 02-04-2013, 11:00 PM   #5
Wagwag
Recipes 

Touché, I know it's all about the end result. I just figure quality in quality out, and I know I went completely textbook on this. But I will post updates shortly. She's going rather nicely now, it just concerned me because the ciders I previously did would be in a rapid ferment within 6 hours or so, this is my first mead.

Quick Reply