The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Put off bottling day...a looong time

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2011, 11:36 PM   #1
mdf191
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Put off bottling day...a looong time

Brewed a batch of nothing fancy dry mead about a year and a half ago. Because of the normal crazy schedule of life I still never bottled it.

It has been in limbo in the Secondary for some time now. Because of an upcoming even less than 2 weeks away I want to get this stuff in bottles. I have tasted it from time to time with my wine thief and all seems well.

My question is:

Normally a decent period of time is recommended to have you mead rest in the bottles before serving..After this long of a time will my mead benefit from being in a bottle for more then two weeks? Or does it now taste...pretty much like it is going to taste. Also... I am not carbonating it so that isn't an issue.

And or the bad news....have I possible damaged the flavors due to the oxygen and head space in the secondary instead of a bottle?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2011, 11:55 PM   #2
SafariBob
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It should be fine. Bulk aging is a valid technique. Bottle it and serve it whenever.

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." -Robert A. Heinlein

- .... .- - / .. ... / .- .-.. .-..

Old 10-24-2011, 02:21 AM   #3
mccann51
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I agree with SafariBob.

"After this long of a time will my mead benefit from being in a bottle for more then two weeks? Or does it now taste...pretty much like it is going to taste."

If you're not carbing it, and you don't stir up the lees when you're bottling, then it will taste as it does now. From my understanding, bulk aging is good for early aging, but past the initial aging, there's going to be minimal to no difference between bulk or bottle aging. A year in bulk is past this point where it matters.

"have I possible damaged the flavors due to the oxygen and head space in the secondary instead of a bottle?"

Some people are sticklers about this. I have never noticed an oxidized flavor in my meads, and I don't worry about reducing head space in bulk aging. If it doesn't taste oxidized, then for all intents and purposes it's not. Admittedly, I have not drank any of my meads that are older than 9 months, so perhaps they're too young to tell, but I don't see it being a big deal. Mead is more resistant to the ravages of oxidation than other alcoholic beverages.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #4
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Just go with it...bulk aging is one if the things I really appreciate about mead...I can just relax and let it fit into my schedule and not vice versa.

As others said, try not vice to kick up any sediment, and you should clear up quickly...you could also consider temporarily refrigerating the bottles to "cold crash" them and get any sediment that did get transferred over to drop quickly.

Sent from my DROIDX using Home Brew Talk

Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 10-24-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
huesmann
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Is there much in the way of lees in your secondary?

Quick Reply