Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Pumpkin Pie Spice Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 05:25 AM   #11
LFCider
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Looks promising!

I just made a similar spiced cyser, myself; probably more like taishojojo's. The differences in mine were that: 1) I used half your amount of ground cloves and replaced that half with allspice, 2) I had 4 cups of 1/2" baked pumpkin cubes in the primary, 3) I used 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, and 4) the big one - I added the spices in at secondary as part of a "tea": the spices steeped for 15 min. in a 1/4 cup of freshly-boiled water.

A few different variables, but I'm still interested as to how your batch turns out. I don't think the pumpkin will play a huge role... a slight vegetal flavor, at best. I'm most curious about how the timed addition of spices and steeping/direct addition of spices play out in the flavor profiles.

Good luck and happy brewing! I'll be tuning in now and then to see what's good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #12
huesmann
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal4x4 View Post
I have a similar going but added 1 cup of pumpkin pie filling to it. It's only been 3 weeks, but so far it's acting like it should.
Unfortunately, I doubt you'll be able to taste much pumkpin--it's a very subtle flavor that's easily overpowered by the spices.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #13
TattooedViking9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post
Unfortunately, I doubt you'll be able to taste much pumkpin--it's a very subtle flavor that's easily overpowered by the spices.
That is exactly the reason I chose to omit the pumpkin. I have read on MANY posts here that the spices are what is recognized as "pumpkin pie" flavor anyway. I have had wines from pumpkin, and they are delicious. But I wanted the subtlety of the honey to shine above the spice. I might have failed in doing so, as I tasted it when I racked it. The spices are prominent, but I hope with about 12 months age they will mellow and blend quite nicely.

CHEERS
#1-Pumpkin Pie Spice Mead #2-Blackberry mead #3-JAOM #4-Tropical Wine #5-Apple Wine
Aging
#1-White Grape/Peach #2-Agave #3-Blackberry/Raspberry #4-Apple/Cherry

Quick Reply