*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Pumpkin Pie Mead Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2011, 04:09 PM   #11
Matrix4b
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

Now that is cool but I like batches of about 5-6 gal for mead. So I just get 3-5 Pumpkin Pie Pumpkins (much smaller and more flavorful, it's what they make pumpkin pies with) then cook it in the oven for 1/2 hr at 350. Scrape the pumpkin out of the skins and put that in a mesh bag in a brew bucket. Then rack from the primary to the secondary onto the pumpkin. Also it is recomended that you put in 1-2 sweet potatoes to enhance the flavor.

From what I understand the jack-o-lantern type of pumpkins don't contribuite much for flavor. I suppose using the Jack-o-lantern as a fermentor would be just simply making sure you have a lot of contact with it and would contribuite to a great mouth feel. I personally wish to have a more controled way of doing it. Less chance of spoilage and I don't have to seal a pumpkin with wax.

Ofcourse I was thinking on doing the pumpkin fermentor for holloween one year. Just set it up so the primary is going while you have trick or treaters. Just imagin a drawn pumpkin face with two airlocks sticking out and bubbling to give it a freaky look. Heh.

Matrix

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2011, 08:18 PM   #12
calicojack
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix4b View Post
Now that is cool but I like batches of about 5-6 gal for mead. So I just get 3-5 Pumpkin Pie Pumpkins (much smaller and more flavorful, it's what they make pumpkin pies with) then cook it in the oven for 1/2 hr at 350. Scrape the pumpkin out of the skins and put that in a mesh bag in a brew bucket. Then rack from the primary to the secondary onto the pumpkin. Also it is recomended that you put in 1-2 sweet potatoes to enhance the flavor.

From what I understand the jack-o-lantern type of pumpkins don't contribuite much for flavor. I suppose using the Jack-o-lantern as a fermentor would be just simply making sure you have a lot of contact with it and would contribuite to a great mouth feel. I personally wish to have a more controled way of doing it. Less chance of spoilage and I don't have to seal a pumpkin with wax.

Ofcourse I was thinking on doing the pumpkin fermentor for holloween one year. Just set it up so the primary is going while you have trick or treaters. Just imagin a drawn pumpkin face with two airlocks sticking out and bubbling to give it a freaky look. Heh.

Matrix
i actually did it both ways. Both are in secondaries atm. the original idea came from a chap that has been doing it for about 15 years....

Old 11-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #13
STLExpat
Recipes 

Looking to do this today, and my pumpkin has sprung a small leak on the bottom. Think chopping it up, roasting with brown sugar and tossing it in the primary would be a good idea?

Try not! Do, or do not. There is no try.

http://www.facebook.com/KurtzhausBrewingCo

Old 11-04-2012, 12:18 AM   #14
Atek
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLExpat
Looking to do this today, and my pumpkin has sprung a small leak on the bottom. Think chopping it up, roasting with brown sugar and tossing it in the primary would be a good idea?
Seal it with wax!!

"Gaurd your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and out live the bastards."

Old 08-02-2013, 03:49 AM   #15
BostonianBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The purée won't be a problem later? Could I just tie it in a muslin bag and stuff it in the fermenter so when I rack it isn't floating everywhere?

Old 08-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #16
huesmann
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can't restrain puree.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #17
Matrix4b
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post
You can't restrain puree.
If you don't puree in a fine manor you may be able to seperate some of the pulp. Just put it in a mesh bag then take out and strain it out. should be fine. The puree will take up some volume out of it when it settles out though. I have the same problem with very fluffy red raspberries.

Matrix

Old 08-03-2013, 12:50 AM   #18
Lungus
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I've got a pumpkin cyser going and the pumpkin puree sank to the bottom in a month. I like the idea of the spices and fruit or puree being loose so it has more interaction with the must. Something that worked for me when the pumpkin pulp started blowing out the airlock was to sterilize a long thin instrument( I used a stainless long spoon handle) and with small circular motions create a hole down through the center of the fruit cap and even if it doesn't create a true hole it will create a weak spot where the gas can escape and keep it from blowing the fruit out of the airlock.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:51 AM   #19
BostonianBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Brewing this tomorrow at work I will keep everyone posted

Old 08-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #20
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1199

Interested. Im battleing between doing a JAOM or maybe a pumpkin mead for my second mead myself.Not shure how I would want to go about adding the pumpkin-just bake and add to secondary?Or what yeast to keep it sweet. I disagree what alot of others seem tothink about actual pumpkin, it certainly contributes color and some texture/mouthfeel and a bit of flavor-character . Also as far as pumpkin beers I think the better ones are the ones made with it,however there are still some good ones without it and just spiced.

Quick Reply