Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Proper Way To Mix Back Sweetening Honey In Carboy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2011, 02:55 AM   #1
jguy898
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Proper Way To Mix Back Sweetening Honey In Carboy?

Yes, what are the best steps to ensure that before you bottle you have thoroughly mixed and suspended your back sweetening honey so that some bottles won't have more than others, and that the honey will not settle out in the bottles after a long aging period. A degassing wand? A drill mounted mixer?

Thanks,
Jonas

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2011, 05:09 AM   #2
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I always worry that being too vigorous at this stage will introduce too much oxygen, so I'd avoid something like the drill. What I do is mix up the back sweetening with a small amount of warmed water, and put this into my bottling bucket...I then rack the mead right into that. This probably mixes things fine by itself, but I then also use a sanitized skimming spoon to gently stir the whole mass up a bit. Again, I try not to make this too vigorous so as not to introduce excessive oxygen. So far I've never found any evidence that I had any incomplete mixing of either backsweetening material, priming sugar, or other additives (acid blend, etc.)

Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Heady Topper Clone! Wild Cider?, Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply