Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Problematic Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
kaelmalakai
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Problematic Mead

We started our first batch of mead, and screwed up somewhere, and the fermentation didnt start... so we reintroduced new yeast and managed to get it started... kinda. In a 5 gallon batch we went from our OG of 1.1 and now, after fermentation seems to have finished, we're at 1.07... It seems to me that our fermentation didnt occur properly or...

I dont know if any users have any suggestions as to how to proceed? Should we dump the batch and start again or add more yeast/nutrient?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 11:47 PM   #2
TheBrewingMedic
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Nope don't dump it yet, could you supply some more info? entire original recipe, types of nutrients, yeast strains, temperatures, and the steps you followed. there might be a simple solution or overlooked step that we might be able to help with.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:58 AM   #3
derek81
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Dump it into my house

Old 07-03-2012, 04:22 AM   #4
kaelmalakai
Recipes 

Will try to remember.... We went for a very simple recipe, about 18 lbs honey, with just under 5 gallons of water (5G-honey's volume) 1 packet of the D-47 yeast that had been prepared and let to soak as per packet instructions... 1 tbs of yeast nutrient(fermaid-k? something like that) and umm, some amount of acid blend, again amount per instructions. That sat in our primary for about 2 weeks around 24*c, and nothing happened. So we racked it back and forth to clear the old yeast, and added a packet of the Lalvin K1-V1116 Yeast right on top, again racking into a carboy after about 2 weeks. It bubbled some, and ive been watching it for about 3-4 weeks and it stopped doing anything. Today i checked SG and it was 1.07, and tastes like honey and water.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Acid before fermentation ?

I'd be checking the pH. If its below 3.0 you should be thinking of something to raise it above 3.5 and remember for future, that honey is already acidic enough, so acid should only be added for taste at bottling time.......

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 07-03-2012, 08:03 AM   #6
Insomniac
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I would also expect that racking it mid ferment at 2 weeks would be an issue, all you've done is take all your new yeast out again!

Old 07-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
kaelmalakai
Recipes 

Dang, well I was following the instructions of a local mead and wine maker as to acid and racking... It seems like he might have misled me... Is there a good way to restart fermentation? Or has has this batch had too much done to it to be saved?

Old 07-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
Insomniac
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

You may be able to get it going again with some degassing and a bit of energiser and nutrient. If not you could make a yeast starter to replace the lost yeast.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #9
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 266

If you only used 1tsp of nutrient to the must you need to add more. Normal dosage is 1tablespoon per gallon of must. Higher OG batches can need even more nutrients.

I would also recommend checking out the forums on the Got Mead web site for more, good, information. I also wouldn't trust anything the local yahoo tells you ever again.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 07-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #10
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 175 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Every must out there has the potential to be saved. Don't give up! Fermaid K is instructed to use 1 tsp per 5 gallons but in a high gravity must you may use up to 4 times as much nutrients. Take a wine whip, wire whisk or anything you can use to degas and whip up this bad boy and give it a go for a few minutes. After that add like 3 tsp of nutrients and whip a little more. If after 48 hours there is no sign of activity then make a starter with some fresh 1116 yeast.

Just mix the following:
2 cups water
1/2 cup honey
1/2 tsp of fermaid k
Then sprinkle the yeast on top. Cover with a paper towel and wait 6-12 hours. The starter will have a lot of activity after that time and will be obviously ready to pitch. Throw that in and you should be good. Signs of fermentation should be seen within 24 hours.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Quick Reply