Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Prickly Pear Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2007, 08:32 AM   #21
wild
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I'm brewing my first mead this Saturday (Make Mead Day). Attempting for a traditional semi-sweet sparkling mead using 1-gallon (? #s) wildflower honey from Prescott Valley and 10#s of misc honey. I haven't the slightest idea what kind of yeast to use. Any thoughts?

Wild

3. Robust Porter
  4. Russian Imperial Stout
  5. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Citra
  6. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Centennial
Primary - Nada
Secondary -
From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world. -- Saint Arnoldus

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2007, 12:42 PM   #22
mgayer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild
I'm brewing my first mead this Saturday (Make Mead Day). Attempting for a traditional semi-sweet sparkling mead using 1-gallon (? #s) wildflower honey from Prescott Valley and 10#s of misc honey. I haven't the slightest idea what kind of yeast to use. Any thoughts?

Wild
I am very partial to using Lalvin ICV-D47. It can also develop some spicy aromas if left on the lees. It will get you in the 14% ABV, it needs nutrients and I would step them in 3 parts. I enjoy this buttery mouthfeel it imparts with traditional meads and haven't had any issues with it even when fermenting at 78 degrees. I would not use sweet mead yeast. they tend to stick on you.

In the Carboy:
Red wine
Roman Raisin Wine
Bottle aging/drinking:
Mead
Apple Wine (15% abv)
Strawberry Wine
Elder Flower Wine
Blue moon Clone

Old 08-02-2007, 04:31 PM   #23
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Question on fermentation temp for mead. In the beer world, I usually manage the temp at about 66-68 with my temp managed chest freezer. What about mead, what's the optimum temp (using D-47).

Since mead takes a good long time to ferment, I'd rather not take up the space in the chest freezer. The house is kept at about 77 in summer. Or, would during the most active phase of the ferment be best to be lower than 77 and the clearing phase be ok in this range? Educate me since I can't find too much on this topic. Do lower/higher temps affect flavor much like beer?

thanks!

Old 08-02-2007, 04:46 PM   #24
flowerysong

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertBrew
Question on fermentation temp for mead. In the beer world, I usually manage the temp at about 66-68 with my temp managed chest freezer. What about mead, what's the optimum temp (using D-47).

Since mead takes a good long time to ferment, I'd rather not take up the space in the chest freezer. The house is kept at about 77 in summer. Or, would during the most active phase of the ferment be best to be lower than 77 and the clearing phase be ok in this range? Educate me since I can't find too much on this topic. Do lower/higher temps affect flavor much like beer?
The temperature affecting flavour in beer is due to the yeast functioning differently at different temperatures. We use yeast in mead, ergo...

I would keep the ambient temperature below 70 degF during active fermentation, to cut down on production of esters and fusel oils.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:42 PM   #25
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerysong
The temperature affecting flavour in beer is due to the yeast functioning differently at different temperatures. We use yeast in mead, ergo...

I would keep the ambient temperature below 70 degF during active fermentation, to cut down on production of esters and fusel oils.
Yep on the temp and yeast, but I was questioning the wide range than NurseNan stated. But in looking at Lavlin's site they state 59-68 as optimal so I'll head there. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseNan
Lavlin D-47:
Low foaming quick fermenter that settles well. Ferments between 50-86 deg. F. Increases mouth feel of wine and is great in Chardonnay and rose wines. A great choice for mead. Encourages Malo-lactic fermentation. One pack is good for 5 gallons of must.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:11 PM   #26
flowerysong

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertBrew
Yep on the temp and yeast, but I was questioning the wide range than NurseNan stated. But in looking at Lavlin's site they state 59-68 as optimal so I'll head there. Thanks
Oh, the range that she cited is the range at which it *will* ferment, which is larger than the optimum range. Go higher and the yeast die, go lower and they go dormant.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:10 AM   #27
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

yeast nutrient question. The site link below talks of the evils of urea based. And now I see what I picked up is Monoamonia, Urea. Should I use it? If so, how much? Papazian says 1/4 tsp. and 1 Tbsp pectin enzyme. By the way, I don't know if that is the only nutrient my HBS has, the guy picked it off the shelf for me.

http://home.comcast.net/~mzapx1/FAQ/Urea.pdf

Also, I was going to do the Staggered Nutrient Addition per this:

http://home.comcast.net/~mzapx1/FAQ/SNAddition.pdf

It's good to be a noob again

Old 08-06-2007, 04:25 PM   #28
DrunkTrucker

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Where in phx is a good place to get wildflower honey? Im gonna be doing prickly pear mead soon. Has anyone tried different kinds of honey? I went and picked about 15 or 16#s the other day so I think im going to try to do it a few different ways.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:39 PM   #29
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I know that Costco in PHX has honey, but I'm fairly certain that it's mesquite.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 08-06-2007, 11:16 PM   #30
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Google finds http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGIH_enUS206US207&q=phoenix+Robson+Bee+Products in Phoenix. Probably a lot like the store I found where they sell equipment for those that have their own hives and also sell honey? FYI, I read somewhere that wildflower honey isn't always the best choice for mead. had to do with not knowing the source where the bees are getting the pollen can create a wide range of honey flavors. Mesquite was recommended by Papazian for the prickly pear mead.

Quick Reply